I got a job! AMA

Congratulations zaclem01!!

That’s fantastic news, your hard work payed off! Thank you for being an inspiration and shining beacon of hope for those of us just starting out.

Your transparency in answering all these questions really helped me get a better grasp of what the process of finding a job will look like in a year or so. Thank you so much!! Hope to see you around FCC once you get settled in.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I had similar difficulties with YDKJS. The best I can give you on that is that I personally would have to reread chapters until they clicked. If there were explanations that didn’t click, I would search online to find an “Explain it like I’m 5” version. Once I got the basics of that, I would go back, and usually it made a lot more sense.

2 Likes

Thank you

I will definitely try to stick around and help anyone I can. Plus I still need to keep practicing!

1 Like

Congratulations @zaclem01 for landing the job. Best wishes for your life ahead

Felicitaciones,Congratulations.

Congratulation!!
As you posted you got a Developer job, I wonder what are you doing everyday? Hope you don’t mind to share

Oh man, completely missed this one :frowning: Sorry about that.

I’m currently building pages from wireframes and mockups. I’ve started to move into more functional aspects like client-side JavaScript and am going to be learning a little .NET for dynamic content.

Thank for replying :wink:
So you meant you currently just simply doing a Web Designer job and eventually will do the Front-End Web Developer job? Will your salary would change at that time or you’ve already earning Developer’s rate?
A lot of companies are very confusing when posting a job as they might post something but actually look for something else. In Web Development jobs, there are 4 main positions even different companies might have different names for each but based on their everyday task, it should be 1 of these 4: Web Graphics Designer, Web Designer, Web Developer and Web QA.
Web Graphics Designer is a person mainly focus on image creation and mostly never deal with coding so their tool is just Adobe suite such as Photoshop, Illustrator…
Web Designer is the one handle wire frames and mock ups to transform images or psd to web pages, dealing with the looks and feels of the website, mostly work with HTML and CSS
Web Developer is working with code directly to create functional flow for the website. Developers can be Front-end (JavaScript/JQuery besides HTML/CSS), Back-end (PHP/MySQL, Java…) or Full Stack (responsible for both Front-end and Back-end)
Web QA is the one that make sure the website work as designed and expected. Most small companies don’t have QA, mid size might have one that have to take care both Front-end and Back-End and big companies would have separate Front-end Web QA and Back-end Web QA. QA has to know how to write code to test again the codes from the developers so most likely QAs are from developers since developers can do anything and everything a designer can do but might not be the other way around
Not sure about other state but in FL, salary for beginner Web Designers is around 40-60k while starting for Web Developer can be anywhere between 60-100 but most companies might just look for Senior Web Developers with starting salary 120+ since most don’t want to waste time to train a Developer…
Anyways, no matter what position you’re in, as long as you’re working on the field you like, it’s a great job :wink:

1 Like