I got a Web Developer job 1 month after finishing Free Code Camp

Ahh okay! Why the move to the new job?

Bigger team, much higher pay, and more opportunity to becoming a better developer. Basically a better position overall.

Sounds great, congratulations and good luck tomorrow!

Sincerely am encouraged by your words. I have a drive to learn this but most times I feel discouraged by the things happening around me. But thanks to you for raising hope again.

I shall become better just like you.

Congratulation @sok213. Perhaps i can follow your way

I read your Medium article as well and I, as I’m sure many others that have tried FCC, struggled with the beginner algorithms as well. I actually skipped the beginner level algorithm challenges via tutorials and tackled the Javascript projects, which I struggled with, but completed. Needless to say, I restarted the beginner level algorithm challenges because I felt that I robbed myself of the fundamental skills it takes to truly understand the concept of data structures and problem solving within the language. I’m still struggling with them but I will also figure them out on my own, as you did. Your story is inspiring and I wish you the best of luck in your career!

It looks great! I like the inset box-shadow in your header. It almost looks like a really subtle gradient on my screen. I also really like the textured background for your footer. Did you get it from Unsplash? And I’ve been trying to find a better way to show off my projects for a couple of days now, and that way was so cool!

just start it, keep practicing constantly, you will get there soon. It’s never too late

Congratulation and good luck!

You inspired me! Thanks, I was a little sad but after reading your testimony I feel strengthened to move forward.

You missed a very important point.
What city and what price did you get?

Congrats! You just motivated me to follow your footsteps

If you want to learn Javascript and by that I mean learning not the syntax but how it works at the deepest level, which is more important than syntax, I suggest you have a look on Udemy at 2 courses I found really great. One of them is: Javascript, understanding the weird parts(this course is not up to date but honestly the way it s explained you will learn a lot) and/or another javascript course by Jonas Schmedtmann, this one is up to date with ES6 and also contains more projects. It’s up to you if you want to try a course or not but I learned a lot from these.

Why are you travelling? Is is something you must do or just something you enjoy? Also you said that now u are a freelancer. When you said you were hired you mean as in a company or you got your job as a freelancer? I would like to know more about your story.

I have a portfolio website, I’ve built some example projects for that portfolio in React but I feel like I still need to learn more and more. Any advice? Should I go with my Javascript + React knowledge? I also know some NodeJS but it’s been a while since I had a look at that but I still remember a thing or 2 I just need to look over documentation/course if I want to dive deep.Also I know some CSS, if I look over syntax I can create decent stuff not crazy-like/advanced level tho without a little help. What you guys think?

Currently I’m back at home in Australia but I did spend 10 months overseas in 2019. I really love travelling and exploring new countries and cities. It’s so much fun! And I got into web development so I could work and travel and spend all my savings!

I started out doing some small side-jobs for friends and on Upwork, then my first job in my home city was a 5 month contract. After that I had some more experience and confidence so I started applying for other jobs - in between I would always just fall back to freelancing so I had an income.

And yeah since then I’ve worked for various companies - but I did spend a solid year at one doing more software development style work. Now, I’m back to freelancing because I just love being able to work on my own schedule. If there was a job that sounded really great with remote work flexibility, I would likely be interested, but for now freelancing is the best!

How are you going with your web dev journey?

I don’t really have confidence to apply for some jobs because I don t have a computer science background. I’ve learned about javascript from an Udemy course of Anthony Alicea. That instructors explains really well then I took another React course and I’ve learned about React. Currently I m going a bit through Python before I decide if I should start applying for jobs.

Thanks for your encouragement. I’ve been struggling to learn web design since 2 years now. I just heard about Free code Camp hope to be a good web developer before the end of the year with my 1 hour lesson each day.

Cool so you know react and JS? What is holding you back from applying? What have you got to lose?

Just put together your portfolio and make a simple personal website (just grab a free template online) and then use canva to create a nice looking resume.

And then just go for it. Don’t let limiting beliefs hold you back - there is surely a project or a job out there somewhere. Plus the more experience you get with job interviews the better! ( even if you bomb it, mark it off as experience )

Just cause you don’t have a CS degree doesn’t mean you can’t code … you learn on the job! I don’t have a degree either, but I’ve been able to find work and that was all because of free code camp and a $14 udemy course!

Just do it!

1 Like

Your article link seems broken, here is the right one: