I have no clue about what should i write about in the Technical Documentation project

So, I saw the example page (a technical documentation of Javascript) and I really don’t know what to write about. I’m just learning HTML and CSS, so I have no knowledge of any of these other languages to write a proper documentation about them.

I looked at the MDN’s page on Javascript to compare the contents of the example page, and I saw that it wasn’t just a copy/paste job in terms of content (meaning that the person who wrote it knew what they were writing about, as they knew what to focus on, how to explain things, etc., which i still don’t, unfortunately).

I’m at a loss here and I haven’t even started the project (I just created a folder on my pc for it - as I’ve been doing for the other projects - and created an index page on VSC to start coding the page). I don’t know if simply copying the contents from another page/doc is a valid idea (and personally, I would like to avoid doing that, if possible) and even then, I’m afraid to screw up something.

You could create a documentation about pokemons, Harry Potter or Marvel superheroes. It really doesn’t matter. You just need to stick to the HTML structure to make tests pass.

1 Like

This might sound like a stupid question, but by “technical documentation”, could it be like a manual to a game or something like that?

Objective: Build a CodePen.io app that is functionally similar to this: https://codepen.io/freeCodeCamp/full/NdrKKL.

The key words are “functionally similar”. The content doesn’t matter much. You can fill it with placeholders. The goal is to create a page with sections and a sidebar to navigate to those sections.

1 Like

I see. Now that i think about it, i don’t remember seeing a lesson that teaches how to make a sidebar like that. I imagine i’ll have to dive into w3schools’ and MDN’s websites to know how to make it work. It was the first think that took my attention when I saw the challenge.

Let’s see what I can do…

I’m just about to start this project too. As @jenovs wrote, the content doesn’t matter, although I think you should write something you know about so you can better structure your HTML (by knowing the meaning of what you write you can better choose the correct tags and semantics for your content).

About the side navigation, we did something similiar in the previous project “Product landing page” where we had a static header sticked at the top of the page. I think this must be something similar but the navigation bar should be sticked to the side…

Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing. I’m still writing the code, so I haven’t posted it on codepen (as I always do everything on VSCode first). But my lateral navbar doesn’t have a scrolling bar (and i kinda like it better this way, honestly).

I’m now in the process of applying a media query to change the navbar’s position when the site is opened on mobile devices. That’s probably the most painful part of the project for me lol

I’m confused. When i run my code through the validator, it doesn’t show errors. However, when i run the tests on codepen, it says i didn’t fulfill the user story that asks me to make a header element inside every section element, even though i have all of the h2 elements set in place. If i change the h2 elements to header, it passes the test on codepen, but not on the validator

I had this same problem, so what I did is to nest an h2 tag inside headers… no warnings now :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.