I just wanted to share a success

I first came to FreeCodeCamp many years ago, maybe 5 or6… Don’t exactly remember and it was another account that I could not remember the details of. But I went through some of the certifications rather quickly because I taught myself C++ when I was 15. After going through the certifications, I started to have this itch that this is something that I could pursue professionally.

Three years ago, I started looking into postbacc and graduate programs and went to a local community college to fill in some prerequisites for a masters program through Georgia Tech. I already have a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in education. I got into Ga Tech’s program and doubled up the classes and graduated in 2 years. My wife was a rock during this time as we have four kiddos ages 6 and under.

Since I have graduated, I have not really applied to many jobs because I didn’t want to deal with the stress of having to interview and be turned down for a position. But recently, I have applied at five different positions locally, received interviews for three of them, and received offers for two of them.

I have decided to take an offer at Schwab with a base salary of 88500, a 100% match of 5% of your salary into your 401K, and an average yearly bonus of 5K, as well as a healthy contribution to health insurance, etc.

I just wanted to share this success because I was like many of you a few years ago with no real software engineering background and just a dream of one day doing this for a living. All I can say is to keep inching closer to the goal. Honestly, for me, I had no real portfolio or anything. They asked a few questions and my depth of knowledge of the projects I listed on my resume, but for the job I am going to accept, it was mostly technical questions about oop, data structures, language differences, and a technical coding challenge where I had to use a hashmap correctly that was an easier medium level Leetcode question.

You got this.

15 Likes

Very interesting…we are getting there too someday
What aspect of programming are you into web, mobile, ai?

Hey @dgatewood !
Thank you for sharing your story. It definitely gave me some more strength to continue learning (currently I’m several month into JS , all by myself). I’ve decided to make a career switch and become a Web Developer, i knew it wasn’t an easy path but damn sometimes it is so frustrating. So stories like yours are like some kind of light at the end of the tunnel!

My degree includes AI, but I bill myself mostly as a backend developer.