I know C++-99. Are there couses to update to newer C++?

I have about 15 years of experience coding in proprietary embedded environments in the original C++ (C++ 99?). I have even more experience in K&R C.

I have been given timed tests that assumes C++11 or newer, and I don’t do very well on them. I am looking for a formalized resource that can give me over the gaps between the old and new C++ variants. Starting over learning Inheritance would not be helpful.

For examples: the tests I have been given assume stdio has overloaded ‘>’ and ‘>>’ operators. Also _main(int argc, char **argv) seems to be obsolete as of C++11.

A lot of the stuff I’ve seen out there seems to assume that if you’re familiar with older C++, then you can just look at a list of feature changes and a handful of examples and understand what changed. I’m not really aware of any formalized resource that walks folks through the changes.

Best bet is probably Googing around and clicking through a ton of results. This looks ok, for example
https://lhcb.github.io/developkit-lessons/first-development-steps/05a-cpp11.html

(I think it was C99 and C++98 were the two standards released at that timeframe)

We used C++ as our primary language back when I got my CS degree in '94 so I must be the OG of C++ :slight_smile: The first international standard was published in '98, known as C++98.

I understand what you are going through. I haven’t used C++ seriously in a long time and decided to brush up on my skills a while ago. I swear, some of it looked like a foreign language. I’m sure if I could devote a substantial amount of time to it I could bring myself up to speed but that’s just not where my interests are at this point in time. But I would find it hard to believe that with 15+ years of C++ experience, even if you weren’t taking advantage of all the new features, that you couldn’t get there rather quickly. Buy a recently published book on C++ and start going through it. I guess I’m old school because I still prefer to have a good old fashioned book to read and then supplement with online stuff. I especially enjoy those challenge sites like codewars.

Good luck.

1 Like

If you want something relatively formal, there are reference books specifically designed around what’s new in more recent versions of C++, like Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14. And some C++ books will have dedicated sections on what is new in C++11 or C++14.

But honestly I suspect that some of your best resources will be things like blog posts and developer articles where a C++ greybeard is writing specifically for other C++ greybeards about a specific cool new thing you can do now. At least that has been what I’ve found as an experienced developer in other languages.

1 Like