I love programming but

Okay. I love programming and I feel great whenever I code. Especially whenever I get to solve these problems . I just HATE the designing part of it. I have no problem with JavaScript. Or in Python. So I don’t really know what I should do.

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of developers don’t like design. I am certainly one of them.

But at most medium to large companies, they will have people who’s job it is to do the designs. It is a separate job. There are a lot of great coders that are terrible at design.

That being said, learning the basics of design is good. But don’t over-worry if you are not good at it or don’t enjoy it.

I think that to a great extent what made me “better” at design was just to start paying attention to what other sites where doing, what worked, what didn’t.

3 Likes

It’s okay, you shouldn’t love the design. You’re a programmer, not the designer.

Hello, I’m the opposite. In programming, I like the design part more. So we can work together, how do you see it? :slight_smile:

so become a backend end eng? :smiley:

When you write a computer program you also design it. Mostly in your mind. Mostly unaware.

It is like making a cup of tea. You have some steps to go thru, like taking a tea bag, sugar, may be lemon and honey (options), boil water, dip the tea bag, add other ingredients, etc. Then enjoy. But, when you make tea you don’t think any of those. You just do those actions. You didn’t analyze or design your tea making. But, it happens to your taste all the time.

Software design as a subject or as development process can be intimidating, “not interesting”, challenging, or just part of work. It can also be fun and interesting. Design happens when you write a program in any programming language. It is just when you write a larger program you need to think about it explicitly, externally, document it, follow some rules, terminology, methodology, use tools, etc. This is a bit challenging, if you don’t have knowledge, experience or familiarity.

Any app one develops has at least one computer program. It might be a simple app like a calculator or conversion of metrics. You can write a simple console based program, without GUI, for this. No upfront design is needed here. May be some pseudo code or flowchart (pseudo code writing and flow charting are basic design tools).

Another app, also console based, has a menu to add books to your personal library, store the data, write comments, maintain the books and its data and print a report. Here you need to think about the app little bit before you start writing the code. This is the design aspect. How you approach differs for each one of the programmers. Someone may start by making some notes on paper about the menus, navigation, think about a particular programming language feature, how many programs the app may have (e.g., a menu program and a program for each function), etc. One can also start with making a simple user guide, and this will tell clearly what your app is about, its functionality, the layouts, navigation, use cases, etc. All these are design.

There are also formal design methods, tools, diagrams like UML, etc., and these are learnt like one learns a programming language. Practice and experience will help. And, knowing design can make one a better programmer.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.