I need some advice!

Hi, I would like to know what you guys think about my portfolio page iv’e gotten it to a place that I’m comfortable with but I want to know what other people think it’s not completely finished but you can see where I’m going with it.
https://myles2.github.io/MJ-Projects/

Cool, good job.

If you want some critique, I notice a few things:

I find the color change on the header a little jarring. I don’t think there is a need for the color of the header to change just because you are hovering it on - the header itself has no functionality. Neat tricks like color changes on hover should be reserved to communicate something to the user, not just to show off.

I don’t like that when the text changes size on hover, the header also changes size. The header should stay at a constant height. The text changing size is good, but this would also be a good place for some color change (background of that clickable element or the text color). I’m not saying you need the color change there, but this would be an example of a place you could do it. You could even do it with the size change it you wanted, but it’s necessary. I might do a slight color change on the background, something subtle. And I would put a transition on that text size change so it’s not so fast.

The forest image - on a wide screen it starts repeating.

On the right, below the forest image, is the text, “Arizona ~ Payson”. Why?

I would want some of your projects on this page. Hiring managers don’t want to go searching. I would have a your best ones right on the landing page and then have it expand to reveal more, or have the link there.

In the contact section - you don’t have an email or phone number?

But still. not a bad start. Don’t let my critique discourage you.

1 Like

First let me start off by saying, Thank you so much I really appreciate you taking your time to critique my web page. It’s really helpful since i’m fairly new to web development. I am going to take in what you said and try to fix those problems but I do want to explain some of the reasoning behind my choices (although if the user doesn’t understand the page that’s no good).

1. The color change on the header was just me being goofy no real reason behind it but what you said concerning that made sense.

2. The forest image on the wide screen I kind of knew it was acting wonky with size adjustments since I used a background-image element in css and gave it a set height so it would fit the screen, but for different screens it either starts to repeat or show part of the image relative to the height so I gotta work on that.

3. I put “Arizona ~ Payson” because I took that picture, there in-case someone was curious I was gonna put more information to why in my about me.

4. It makes sense to put my projects on the front page I just thought as I built more projects it’d get overcrowded, and in-case a hiring manager wanted to go straight to the projects it’d be right in the nav but I’m sure there are convenient alternatives for displaying projects on the front page.

5. I didn’t put my email although that is quite ironic because I put it at the top so to not be repetitive I left it out but as I type this I realize that was quite silly.

Overall i’m not discouraged i’m just glad to get some honest feedback to make it better.
Thanks again @kevinSmith Happy coding!

Well I’m glad you’re not discouraged. I was about where you are less than two years ago - I just started a great job. YMMV.

I put “Arizona ~ Payson” because I took that picture, there in-case someone was curious I was gonna put more information to why in my about me.

I wouldn’t bother. You should only include things relevant to being a web dev. I almost commented that the photo was a bit out of place. What does it have to do with web dev? If you wanted something like a photo relevant your market, that might makes sense. This is a minor gripe, which is why I left it out. But I wouldn’t bother with the note on the photo. If you were going to put it, I would put it on top of the photo. I’d research how others note it. But if it’s your own photo, there is no need. Again, I would avoid unnecessary information as you don’t want any distractions.

It makes sense to put my projects on the front page I just thought as I built more projects it’d get overcrowded…

You can’t underestimate how little time you have to sell yourself. Many hirers are looking at hundreds of people. You want everything right there, easy to find. I understand you not wanting to take up too much space. Consider having and expanding section - hit a button and it expands. Or list the best ones and have a link to more. You want everything really obvious when the hirer takes 5 seconds to scan your page as they decide if it’s worth the time to spend another 30 seconds to decide if it it’s wort taking another 5 minutes to decide if it’s worth spending the time calling you. Every little thing they have to figure out is another chance to move on to the other 99 applicants that won’t make them think.

I didn’t put my email although that is quite ironic because I put it at the top so to not be repetitive I left it out but as I type this I realize that was quite silly.

I would still put it at the bottom. Again, don’t make them think. Having at the top and be nice, but I’d want all your contact stuff in the contact section.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new job!:tada::confetti_ball:
I’m really thankful for your help I fixed all the things you mentioned before and did some other little things I found to be beneficial. I definitely like the new style and feel it has now better.
If you have any more suggestions I would love to here them, other than that Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Cool, just keep working on it. That and editing your resume are a never ending process. Look at other people’s to get ideas. Always be asking for input. It took a long time before I got things they way I wanted and probably still could go back and improve things.

I’m sorry that you found my post unhelpful - most seem to find my posts encouraging, include, it would seem, the OP.

I’m sorry that you feel that I am not qualified for the advice I give. If you feel what I’ve said is factually incorrect, please feel free to offer a counter opinion.

And just as a point of fact, as confident as you seem to be in your psychic abilities, I actually skipped over the junior position and am a “senior associate mobile developer”. They felt that with my years of programming experience, the strength of my portfolio, and my knowledge that the junior position would be inappropriate. I’m not a senior, for user, but I’m also not exactly at the bottom of the totem pole. There are actually two levels below me. You may want to have your crystal ball serviced.

I don’t pretend to have everything figured out. I know what I know and I don’t know what I don’t know. But again, if you found a factual error in something I’ve said, please, please, please point it out. I like to be corrected - it’s a chance to learn something.

1 Like