I would ask for feedback but

… I have a lack of imagination, so I decided to mimic as close as I could the FCC product page, so if there is any feedback that you can glean from that I’m all for it.

It’s taken longer than I thought it would and it’s still not “complete” but it’s enough for me to move on.

Once I stopped trying to replicate my own and use the FCC page as my template, I had focus.

Please note although the page is a copy, it’s all from scratch.

Cheers

It’s a really nice copy, and responsive too.

About the lack of imagination, don’t beat yourself up too much. You will find out, that a lot of people feel that way sometimes/most times. Search google for templates, or anything you fancy and would like to work on, check out different projects. You’ll be inspired by what you see.

Cheers!

Looks like a perfectly good clone, and those are fine when you’re low on inspiration – it beats doing nothing, after all.

Only issue I can see off the bat is the “Pricing” menu item runs off to the right somewhat. Try adding a larger right margin to the menu items.

I look at cloning (without peeking) as a test of my knowledge: Can I look at a web page and have an idea of how it was put together?

The transferrable skill is: have an idea of what the end product should look like, and be able to instantiate that.

Especially when you get to the projects that require Javascript, you’ll see that regardless of how you acheived a look/feel, there will always be alternative ways to achieve the same.

Critique: Everything looks good, with two notable exceptions:

1. Responsivity: The video doesn’t scale. It gets clipped horizontally at small frames and its aspect ratio changes when resizing the window.
  2. Navbar “scrolling”: The top of each section is cut off by your navbar when you target them with internal anchors. <a href = #anchor_name>

One of my projects was a personal CSS “cheatsheet” for things that cost me time to learn that I didn’t wish to spend again. Two topics were “Floating Navbars” and “Responsive Images and Video”. If you click those two links in my personal wiki, you’ll get dead-simple “how-tos” with links to the sources.

Hey Belle2,

Thanks for this, after your message Googled some Tech Spec pages for the next module and it’s given me some great ideas. Who wants to read boring technical specification documents anyway!!

Thanks!

Thanks Chuckadams,

I can’t believe I missed that, all fixed now.

Cheers!

You’re welcome. Glad i could help.

Can I look at a web page and have an idea of how it was put together?

Yes exactly this, if I can look at a page (from a users point of view) and be able to replicate the page, then my understanding improves as I go, I peaked to get the logo, but I hope that doesn’t count! :wink:

1. Responsivity: The video doesn’t scale. It gets clipped horizontally at small frames and its aspect ratio changes when resizing the window.

Great spot, I didn’t even think about the video after I embedded it into the page.

1. Navbar “scrolling”: The top of each section is cut off by your navbar when you target them with internal anchors. <a href = #anchor_name>

Ah, I see! The anchors were working perfectly, but then I fixed the <nav> section at the end of the project.

Now I need to figure out the offset relative to the vh measurement, thanks for the spot/link, I’ve had a quick look but you need to investigate further when not in the office.

Thanks for taking the time to run through my project.

Cheers

1 Like

I was working on my landing page and felt the same way. I was inspired knowing I am not the only one and seeing the responses to your post. Thanks for sharing!

Overall, I’d say you did well. Keep going!

I shouldn’t worry too much about creativity because that’s the job of the designer. Coders will create a layout and functionality for those components.

1 Like