I wrote an article about Electronic Lab Notebooks

The link:
Electronic Lab Notebooks .

Cheers and happy coding :slightly_smiling_face:

Thatā€™s an interesting idea, but I didnā€™t come out of reading your article with an understanding of what I should actually do. This read like a list of technologies and concepts without any connection between them other than the vague association to electronic lab notebooks. Perhaps follow up with a description of your typical workflow. Do you just open up vim, type in some stuff and then quit? How are your files organized? How are your tools set up? Could you walk the reader through getting up and running?

I think that developers really should end the day with a diary entry. I started doing that at my current job, but it only took a few long days before I dropped it in favor of getting home sooner, though with the right tools Iā€™d like to reincorporate it into my workflow. Your article strikes me as being in the same vein and I think it could be a great topic for FCC students and alumni alike if it were more practical.

Hi @PortableStick,

Thatā€™s an interesting idea, but I didnā€™t come out of reading your article with an understanding of what I should actually do. This read like a list of technologies and concepts without any connection between them other than the vague association to electronic lab notebooks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps follow up with a description of your typical workflow.

Iā€™ll make a video and another article with the implementation details and workflow.

Do you just open up vim, type in some stuff and then quit?

I use emacs and orgmode

How are your files organized?

By day, theme, projects,templates, etc.

With orgmode you can create ā€˜linksā€™ to files, you can have flexibility.

How are your tools set up? Could you walk the reader through getting up and running?

yes, is basically orgmode with some tweaks.

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

if someone is interested in implement an ELN before the next article (I havenā€™t written it yet), just tell me and we can have a ā€œpair programmingā€ session to setup everything.

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile: