I'm 16 and I built a game to help celebrate the vaccine

Covid Invaders

I would love to get anyone’s feedback on how I can improve the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, it looks pretty cool.

As far as improving, perhaps some rules would be nice, some kind of explanation of how point work and what kills us.

Also, at the bottom of the screen, the stats and playing area overlap a little.

Still, it looks pretty cool. Post a link to the code if you want a code review.

Thanks Kevin! I really appreciate the feedback.

This is cool, nice job

Thank you Mike! I appreciate it

certainly cooler than whatever i was doing when I was 16

Haha thanks! I’m always excited to work hard.

Loved the game and song.

Hey! Thank you. It took me around 2 months to build it.

looks pretty sweet!

what did you write it in?
could you give us a general overview of how you did it?
congrats!

Thank you! I wrote it in HTML, CSS, Jquery, and some Python

So first off, really good job getting this done. After looking over your code for this project, I do have a few tips for you to keep in mind for the next project or if you decide to rewrite this.

1. You are setting up / retrieving sounds and images in a lot of different places throughout your code. You should try and load/retrieve all your assets in one place. Ideally within an asset manager. In a small game like this it is not a big deal but if you go on to make larger games/projects, it can make a big difference.

2. Your classes Tir / Soucoupe / Vaisseau , all have the same properties and methods so an OOP( Object Oriented Programming ) approach would server you well and make your code easier to maintain. Having a base class that you ‘extend’ would have saved you a lot of coding.

3. Game data being stored as global vars. You should avoid using global variables as much as possible in general. Keeping all you game data in an object or class is the recommended method. It is also a good rule of thumb to always have global variables set as ‘const’. That will help to avoid bugs ( that can be very hard to find ) and make it a little harder for people to “hack” you apps/games.

4. Inconsistent use of var and let. You should really just stop using var altogether as let / const are the current standard and give you better control of scope.

5. You are currently grabbing DOM elements a lot more often then you need to. You should treat grabbing DOM elements the same as getting assets( images/sounds/ect… ). Grab them once and store the reference.

6. Comments. I can not stress enough the value of using comments. At this stage in your programming development, you really should be getting in the habit of including good comments in you code. Not only will it make you code easier to understand later on, it is something that companies look for when reviewing candidates work. In other words, good comments in your code can help you land a job in the future.

None of this is meant to imply that you did not do a good job, because you did. These tips are just meant to help you continue to improve in the future. Anyways I hope you find this helpful and keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful feedback and tips!!!

1 Like