.red-box {
    background: set var(--red-color,  red);
    height: 200px;
    width:200px;
  }
</style>
<div class="red-box"></div>

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.142 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/responsive-web-design/basic-css/improve-compatibility-with-browser-fallbacks

how would you have set the background color before finding out about variables? this is what a browser that doesn’t support variables needs

i didin’t set a background before, ths is the original test from freecodecamp curriculum, the question is :slight_smile:
" It looks like a variable is being used to set the background color of the .red-box class. Let’s improve our browser compatibility by adding another background declaration right before the existing declaration and set its value to red." thanks for helping me please

one of the first few css challenges is about setting a background color, so you know how to set the background color without using variables - that is what a browser that doesn’t support backgrounds need

the background declaration is there, and you shouldn’t change it or you can’t pass the tests, even if adding a variable fallback like learnt in previous challenge is not bad. set is wrong syntax, shouldn’t be there at all.

instead you need to