In need of a little guidance

Hi,

Looking for a career change and have a little experience with coding.
Primarily I am seeking ‘remote work’, ideally in something data based.
I was curious to know from someone with experience which area of coding is more likely to offer a remote job straight away to someone knew to the industry. Also which courses on freecodecamp i would have to complete to make myself eligible for hire.

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Primarily I am seeking ‘remote work’…

I think it is hard to get remote work as your first job, especially as a beginner. Not impossible, just more difficult.

… ideally in something data based.

Can you be clear about what you mean by that? I mean, to some extent, all computer work is data based.

Also which courses on freecodecamp i would have to complete to make myself eligible for hire.

There is no standard for “eligible for hire”. There is a sliding scale from “almost impossible to get a job” and “they are beating down your door to hire” you.

FCC can give you the foundation of what you need for a web dev job, especially in the MERN stack. Most people will have to spend some more time after that (6-36 month, #ymmv) expanding their knowledge and building up a portfolio.

There are many different paths you can take - FCC offers one.

2 Likes

Are there any particular fields which are more likely to offer remote than others?

Data scientist/engineer/analyst

Which route would you recommend using FCC as the main resource to put me on the latter end of that scale?

I think it’s just difficult to get remote for a first job. They are reluctant to hire a stranger with no experience that they can’t oversea and supervise with a lot of money. But I’m sure some will. And it’s probably more than it used to be. But it is already very hard to get a first job in this field and that will make it harder.

Data scientist/engineer/analyst

That is in demand. But I sense (based on no experience) that those jobs will often expect a degree. And they usually involve a lot of math. Do you have a math degree or knowledge in math and statistics?

One of the advantages of web dev is that it is one of the fields that is more welcoming to self-taught - if you have good knowledge and a portfolio that shows what you know how to do things.

Which route would you recommend using FCC as the main resource to put me on the latter end of that scale?

Again, those are vague terms on purpose. FCC primarily teaches web dev, with a slight introduction to Python and DS.

For web dev, I’d say that FCC can give you a foundation in a MERN stack for web dev. On that scale it might be “potentially hirable but probably won’t be”. It really is impossible to say. Are you a good learner? Do you have an aptitude? What is the job market like where you are? What are your country’s/culture’s attitudes towards educations and certifications? Are you good at networking? Are you good at interviews? Are you good at networking? Are you lucky.

I started FCC and finished it in about 5 months, then spent more than a year working hard, learning new things and building more and more complex apps. Then I got a job. #ymmv

As to DS, I don’t think FCC is going to get you that close. Again, I have no experience in that field, but I’ve known a few. They all had degrees in either CS, DS, or math - a few of them had more than one degree. Some of them did internships. I don’t think a month of online, self-evaluated work is going to replace that. There might be something more structured, like a DS bootcamp, but caveat emptor.

But again, I don’t know. I’d do some research. I think doing some google search will cast a wider net than asking here - we’re mainly focused on helping people to learn coding, especially around the FCC curriculum. There’s nothing wrong with asking, but it’s a little outside our typical ken.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

I’m not sure if it matters which sub specialty you get into. Every year the tech industry is getting more and more remote friendly to the point where there are some companies that are “remote first”. Which means they use a hybrid model, but never expect anyone to visit the office (save some directors and execs potentially), and design their culture and the way collaboration occurs around the expectation that everyone will be working remotely, and even design the office to support people being in zoom calls with colleagues “phoning it in” as Elon would call it.

So at these companies it doesn’t matter what your job is, you can be fully-remote for as long as you like. There are even some companies that are 100% remote with no physical office at all.

As your looking for companies that post remote jobs, you’ll want to watch out for some red flags.

• If you see the words “Will consider remote”
    • Nope. No they won’t. They’re baiting you into taking a job and later forcing you to come to the office
  • The company is not “remote-first” but has “some remote employees”
    • Especially in tech, you DO NOT want to work in that environment as an entry-level developer or data scientist or whatever. IF you work remote, you want to be at a company where there’s lots of collaboration and they collaborate in a way that supports remote employees first. Otherwise you’re going to be left alone and forgotten, won’t grow or learn very fast, and likely will get fired for poor performance and it’ll be unexpected because you didn’t receive enough support or feedback
  • They say they’re remote friendly or “remote first” but expect you to come into the office for the interview

Just do your research if you’re given an offer before accepting it. Try to reach out to employees who currently work their and get their insights into the remote culture if you have to.

Another option for remote work is to get into freelancing. I don’t know what the demand is for data scientists but you can always check on upwork.com and see what there is.

Yeah, I found that there was a wide range of what people mean by “remote work”. One of my old companies thought of it as “living nearby, coming in a few times a month”. Other places want you in the same timezone. Others will want you to overlap with their “home” timezone. There are some jobs that are 100% location independent, but those are rare.

1 Like

To expand on the advice above.

Another route to get the most relevant idea is to look at jobs in your area and see what they are looking for.

Most data science jobs ask for a Bachelor of Science degree in a relevant field, that usually includes statistics and overall is “math focused”. If you can find some jobs that don’t require this then you may be in luck, but they are very rare to the point I’ve never seen one.

As mentioned above, other domains like web-development can be more welcoming, as they don’t always have this requirement. That said competition can be fierce so knowing your stuff and knowing how to stand out can be key to getting the interview.

1 Like

Saw hyperiondev are offering 3-6momth bootcamps for data scientists through the Edinburgh university. Anyone heard much about the quality of this company?

Oh yeah absolutely there’s a wide array of meanings for “remote work”. Which isn’t always a deal breaker for people

My last job, we were “fully-remote” but only hired inside of Ontario. There was no expectation to ever come into the office but team events happened in-person at the main office in Waterloo and were optional to attend. Which worked for me because I live in Ontario and have no plans to leave anytime soon

My current workplace we’re remote-first but we hire coast-to-coast in Canada and as far as I know we’re hiring in the US now too, I’m just not aware of any hires from there yet.

Even I am leaning programming for career change .