Interested in understanding JavaScript "Verbiage"

I’m not too sure if this question makes much sense, but I was recently accepted into Hack Reactor and I’m also waiting for a response from App Academy, all thanks to this wonderful program!

During the technical admissions process I got stuck in explaining my “code process” because I wasn’t able to think of the right way of verbally expressing certain things.

Here are some examples:

• The expected result of an if statement.
  • The code inside of an if statement’s parentheses.
  • The code inside of an if statement’s brackets.
  • Referring to the index of an array such as arr[1], or arr[0], (is it “arr of 0” or “arr at index 0”?
  • I’ve heard people use the term conditionals when referring to condition based syntax such as if statements.
  • and more.

I’m wanting to get serious about coding as I believe FreeCodeCamp has allowed me to reach a level of confidence in which this is now a possibility, but I’m struggling with explaining myself more than anything else when coding. Are there any resources anyone can point me to in order to better understand this as a topic?

Thank you!

1. Read articles about programming. Lot’s of them on the internet. Excellent way to improve your vocabulary.

2. Talk to a friend, try to explain concepts. This is a good exercise that gives you the opportunity to articulate your thoughts.

3. Go to job interviews even if you are skeptical that you are getting the job or even if you don’t want the job. Very insightful things I have had coming from interviews.
    If there is something you don’t know, ask politely the interviewer to explain what sort of answer they were expecting from you. They are always happy to share that.

Absolutely, will do. One thing that I need to focus on is dismissing my nerves and allowing my confidence in self to shine, especially during interviews. Thank you for your advice, I’ll make sure to do some more research. Actually found some great info on w3 schools.
Thanks again!

This is a really smart question. One of the first things I teach is how read a line of code out loud. It’s so helpful to be able to communicate and to know the right names for things, especially if you want to pair program well.

Good work looking on W3Schools, you can also find all of the terms you need on MDN.

I made a video that might help you find the terms you need a little faster:

VIDEO REDACTED

Hi @CodeLiveNow . Kudos for what you’re doing, but we don’t allow people to use the freeCodeCamp forum for promotional purposes. If you would like to be one of the developer authors for Free Code Camp News, you can find everything you need to know in the Publication Style Guide, or read here about how to contribute to freeCodeCamp’s YouTube channel. Alternatively, you can find everything else about contributing to Free Code Camp in the contributing docs.

I think a lot of this is mostly a matter of exposure. You read a bunch about code. You talk to people. You hang out in code related social spaces like this forum. You just sort of get used to the way that people talk about code. Also, if you’re in an interview and conversation the way that you described the parts of an if statement would be fine.

That’s probably how I would describe it.

The condition or conditional and variations of that.

The if block. Code in curly braces is a “code block”. Often you’ll here “block” used loosely to describe a logical chunk of code, but it often refers to scoping.

• Index zero, index 1.
  • The second item in arr, the first item in arr.
  • Position one, position 0.
    Stuff like that.

Yeah. There are “conditional operators” which would be things like &&, ||, ===, etc. There are “conditional statements” which would be something like the stuff in an if's parentheses or could refer to a whole if/else chain, a switch statement, ternaries, etc. There is “conditional logic” which is… all of that I guess. Variations on this theme abound.

Remember that most of this is jargon, so it’s not hard and fast and there will be variations on usage in different contexts. The goal is clear communication, not gatekeeping.