Intermediate Algorithms

Anyone else find these to get really difficult? I was getting a bit bored on working api projects so decided to take a break from working on twitch.tv api and go through these problems. I got 3 of them done today in about an hour. However, everything else seems to be really complicated and I’ve been going from problem to problem and getting frustrated. Any advice on how you managed to get past this hurdle?

Pretty much everyone. Don’t sweat it, you’re doing fine.

I’m a little over half way through. If you get stuck you can search for the title of the challenge in the forum and look for the post with the Guide tag. There are some hints to read which have helped me.

Well, I can only speak for myself but it has been taking me upwards of an hour, sometimes more, to solve one intermediate algorithm, and some of the challenges have taken me a couple days to finally figure out. Granted, a lot of that time is spent researching, reading, thinking, and I find myself writing psuedocode a lot more now to be able to sort out my thoughts to how I wanna tackle a problem, but yeah…theyre not easy.

I will say though, that sometimes Ill be so completely and utterly stuck, then when I come back to it, its like everything suddenly clicks, and I realize how I should be solving it. Thats such an awesome feeling really… I guess the thing is, its hard now so that it will be easy later… meaning, all these rough times and frustrations will pay off when we see these patterns in the future and know exactly how to tackle them.

1 Like

Even though they have explained the different elements in JavaScript, it is still brief and it goes so fast. You can read all the books in the world but the only way you learn to code is by coding. Try to forget the “50 hours” approximation on the algorithms, it’s not a competition. In fact its the opposite, in my opinion. The more time you spend on something, the more you are learning and the less time it will take for you to do the same problem in the future.
I’m at the Advanced Algorithms and already encountered some useful code I did in the intermediate.
The api challenges are fun if you make it. I learnt Sass/less in the process when I did mine and played around with the design a lot.

Curious. Is it bad if I get stuck to google how to do something? Like I just googled for missing letters. Javascript how to find if an array is missing a number in an array of ordered numbers.