Is anyone doing all this on a linux distro?

Is anyone doing all this on a linux distro?
0.0 0

I’m thinking of going to xubuntu because I’ve seen the way it works and it seems beautiful. But does it have all the necessary things that freecodecamp may require or does the entire course require only web apps and an internet browser?

I’ve just stepped into jQuery so I’m not really familiar with the rest.

Is there anyone already following the course on a linux distro? I liked Arch too but it’s been a nightmare for me to install and set up so far.

Also what desktop environment are you using? I like xfce from xubuntu a lot and plasma seems very sexy.

I have been. I use Ubuntu and it runs pretty well. Eventually you’ll need an actual text editor, and some of the more basic ones don’t hold up quite as well, but I’ve had a lot of luck using Atom.

I like Brackets. It’s pretty good but I haven’t done a lot in the text editor.

Hi, I am using Firefox on Xubuntu. I haven’t had any problems so far. =)

I actually really liked Brackets when I was running it on Windows, but less once I started using Linux more.

Yeah. I lied it a lot but it still missed something, I don’t know what :slight_smile:
Atom looks good so I’ll give it a try once I move to xubuntu.

I will be using chrome/chromium. No other browser can replace those for me :slight_smile:

Don’t know about xubuntu specifically, but I have been running Atom on various other Ubuntu-based distros and it’s always working well. Also Chrome is pretty stable on it (unlike Firefox from what I heard).

I’m using Firefox on Debian. All is good here.

I’m using Elementary OS with the Numix icon set and Arc theme. Based on Ubuntu 14.

I have every piece of software that I can possibly use to do programming and web dev. My current browser is Vivaldi (Chrome based) and sometimes I run Firefox on it.

For my code editor I run both Atom and Sublime Text, installing NodeJS, Ruby, Mongo, LAMP stack and other things may feel more difficult to do than on Windows if you’re not comfortable with the terminal (command line) but just follow instructions and you’ll be OK.

I’m going though the entire curriculum on a ChromeOS Pixel (using c9.io as my IDE) so far no problems.

I am comfortable with the terminal but not to the point that I know how to configure stuff like LAMP. I like ElementaryOS, it’s beautifully simple. Can’t wait for a stable version of Loki.

I need more features. ChromeOS seems like a minimal OS to me.

I don’t buy into the LAMP hype but it’s still necessary and not that hard to install; you can substitute Apache with Nginx and MySQL with SQLite.

step 1 - get apache
step 2 - get mysql
step 3 - get php
step 4 - get phpmyadmin and verify phpinfo()
step 5 - give /var/www root permissions
step 6 - enjoy

There are tons of tutorials out there.

Ok. Thanks. I’ve made up my mind to go for xubuntu. It’s beautiful, lightweight and functional. But that’s when I get a new PC by the end of this year I hope.

I’ve been developing on Fedora with i3 wm for a few years and I haven’t run into any major obstacles. I’d say that there are more advantages for developing on GNU/Linux over Windows. The biggest pitfall would be having to use GIMP instead of Photoshop although I hear some people have gotten older versions of PS to work under WINE.

I’ve used Xfce before for quite some time and I think it’s a good desktop environment. The biggest complaint I hear is that it feels antiquated in comparison to desktop environments like KDE Plasma, which I also like. They are both stable so I don’t think you can make a wrong choice. You’re not stuck with the one that comes with your distro either. You can always download multiple desktop environments and select the one you want at the login screen.

Rebecca Cinnamon Mint and Ubuntu. My editors are Sublime, Atom, Brackets and Light Table. All good!

My home PC is dual boot Fedora-Gnome/LXDE and Win 10. I use either for FCC. Win 10 crashes at least once a week. I have Atom, Brackets, Notepad++ and VS Code. I also dabbled in some of those online IDEs like Code Anywhere.

I have been using CloudReady on a USB on a laptop. I plan to use that for FCC, too. You only need something that can run a modern, up to date browser to do FCC.

I got another hard drive from an old PC and I installed xubuntu on it now. Loving it. Even installed a theme. Take a look at it if you’re interested. Screenshot

I’ve had Windows 10 for a while. Had too many issues so I downgraded to Windows 8.1. Now I upgraded to xubuntu. I downloaded Atom but Brackets still seem like a way to go for me.

What is FCC? I doubt it’s Federal Communications Commission like google says.