Is building your own reference effective in programming?

Hey there i am thinking of building my own reference while learning programming. So let’s say, i opened MS word or MS Exel, and write all the things in there i’ve been learning let’s just say you include items as TOPIC - Regular expressions in JS. and write all the stuff, stuff, nstuff all i’ve learn for eg, say how to check in a regex exists in a string using .test() and how to return those items if is exists using the .match() method. Then like this, would in be a good idea (just your opinion that as by i go learning programming should i write these down?). I have no problems until now, i’ve learnt all JS5 (JavaScript EcmaScript 5 or whatever you call it as ES5) and i’ve never used any reference until now though. if i am want to check anything i just went into the codecademy cheatsheets (actually revision sheets, i’ve don’t know why they call it that) and check which code i wanted to revise. Now imma learning of FCC (freeCodeCamp ) and there aren’t any revision sheets to revise the new topics i’ve been learning?

So it’s just a few suggestions from you people whether this will be effective or not will be helpful :neutral_face:

1 Like

Depends on your definition of “effective”.

Effective for your learning, I do believe so as by writing it down you probably fix the concepts more.

Effective for your time, probably not.

I generally rely on “official” documentation, which is usually maintained by various people thus more robust than what I could come up by myself. :slight_smile:

For anything web related I generally use MDN.
For specific libraries I used their docs. (eg: Typescript, React, Sass, Node…)

If I ever have the needs of adding something relevant, then yes, I do take some note, but generally are very minor as I generally find all I need in the official documentations.

2 Likes

Hey there @Marmiz Thanks a lot! :neutral_face:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.