Is it better to create a project in a suboptimal way, or is it better to wait to acquire better skills?

There is this massive project idea I have been wanting to accomplish for years now.

Meanwhile, I have hit a plateau while learning to code. So far, I am skilled in HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, and SQL.

I am NOT skilled in any frameworks at all whatsoever. I have touched on them, but I have hit brick walls everytime I try to learn them for various reasons, whether that be Laravel, Express, React, or Vue. Vue so far has been the easier one of them all. I want to learn them, but it is taking me a very long time.

Anyways, I have a very difficult decision to make. Should I just spend the next few months working on this project with the bare skills I have, OR should I wait until I have gained more skills (which may take several months or even a year) before I start on this project?

Right now, I have these skills but nothing to show for it.

Start now, and as you gain skills, apply them to the project. Win-win.

2 Likes

Do the project now and revisit it as often as you feel that you can improve on it. At the very least it will show you what you need to improve on and give your studies more focus.

1 Like

Learn while doing. Don’t wait to learn before you do.

Have you heard of MVP’s? I like this youtube channel’s playlist on Minimum Viable Products

I am NOT skilled in any frameworks at all whatsoever. I have touched on them, but I have hit brick walls everytime I try to learn them for various reasons, whether that be Laravel, Express, React, or Vue. Vue so far has been the easier one of them all. I want to learn them, but it is taking me a very long time.

if you hit brick walls, you must over come them. There wont be a day when you don’t hit brick walls of issues. The idea is to be able to not give up and find a solution. It might take 500 tries to find the solution, but that means you will learn 500 ways to fail. You learn far more by failing and figuring it out, than just by finding “something that works” instead.

You will never be 100% ready to do anything. Your better off starting, finding how much you don’t know and failing and overcoming. If you wait until your “ready”, the same will still apply.

There’s no way to know what you don’t know until you try and fail

It might take a while get the skills you need, and you might find you need to learn more to accomplish your goal, so instead of beating around the bush, trying to guess what you need to know, just go out and find yourself.

Goodluck, jump in, build, learn, fail and overcome :smile:

1 Like

I agree with the guys, you just need to take and do, as soon as you have a problem, there is an incentive to learn how to solve it :muscle:

Get started with the project. That way, you can always come back later to your project to improve it with the frameworks.