Is it completely necessary to create 30 triangles? - Step 59: Building a Picasso Painting

Hello People

I hope you’re all having a good week :slight_smile:

This is a very very non-urgent question. Please prioritise responding to people who might be stuck or confused about passing a step.

I’m just wondering if it is completely usual to create 30 individual shapes for creating a pattern such as the one in the building a picasso painting task? (Step 59: Learn Intermediate CSS by Building a Picasso Painting)

It seems a little bit strange to me to have to scroll down through so many triangles (divs). It feels like it could make writing the code and editing it a bit long winded in the long run, especially if there were more instances where 30 or more shapes (divs) were added?

Is it completely common place to do this? Would anyone else do it differently?

Sorry if that sounds stupid!

Happy coding,

Antonia

1 Like

Well, it’s an art. You could make the painting with SVG if you know how to make it. Since an art involved a lot, lot of composition, it’s not surprising that it would have many repetition, especially with plain HTML and CSS.

You may want to check out Diana Smith’s art which is completely made only with HTML and CSS. If you look at the source code, you will find that her painting involved many, many <div>'s.

1 Like

Hey admuh,

Wow! Ok, I just had a look at Diana Smith’s art… many many many <div>'s! :exploding_head:

Thank you so much for your response. It makes a lot of sense to me. Seemed like a lot at the time, but now it doesn’t seem excessive at all. It is likely rare I imagine, to be attempting to create multiple picasso replicas with plain HTML and CSS for a project.

It’s been nice to procastinate about that for a while. I’d love to learn to re-create paintings with SVG, maybe even attempt Diana Smith style art! Maybe I’ll get there one day! I should keep going with the basics first :blush:

All the best,

Antonia