Is it still worth it, how and why?

this is asked a lot I am sure, but why, how is it still a good idea to learn full-stack web development? Can someone assure me that I’m doing a smart thing by learning this stuff and seeking a career.

Is it possible to stay alive in some type of programming area after web development is dead, if it will die?

Some people enjoy programming as a hobby. They presumably think that it’s worth the time and effort. For many of us it is a job. It’s hard work and a lot of times we’d rather be doing something else, but many of us find it a relatively rewarding job.

There are other types of programming besides web development, and always will be. Web development is not “dying”, but technology is always changing and being a developer means always having to learn.

2 Likes

If you enjoy it, continue down that path.

Learning web development offers many the ability to enter the world of programming with little resistance, while languages like C#, Java, Ruby, Python, etc, have a bit of an overhead when it comes to having the right tools to see your code in action. With web development, if you are reading this text, you already have what you need to run your code ( a web browser).

1 Like

well, if it dies, and people stop using the internet.
and, you only know web dev and no other CS (as is my situation), i think the future is not so bright.

but, i personally dont think this is gonna happen any time soon. but who knows, maybe they invent something better tomorrow!

1 Like

Most of the knowledge required to plan, develop and maintain a project is transferable to any another “kind” of programming or similar related job.

An if, loops, functions and all other core operations you learn in web development will be mostly the same in any other kind of development, what changes most of the time is syntax and language-specific nuances.

Even if, as stated by @ronstarcool, something better is invented tomorrow the change might be fast but not immediate, people will need someone who understands their current platform (current developers) and is able to migrate it.

The closer you have in “recent” times of extinction of the “web developer” that I can remember on the top of my head was the .dom crash in the early 2000s and that was more of a market reduction in the demand and segmentation of responsibilities (webmasters were replaced by developers, designers, and a bunch other more specialized positions) than actual extinction.

If it makes you feel better, companies still pay, quite well, for COBOL and RPG (language with 60 years) developers and that’s a language that is mostly gone from most peoples mind.

It’s not what specific knowledge you have but what you do with it that matters at the end of the day.

1 Like

excellent, it’s so important to believe in what you’re doing. when i am questioning whether there is a future in it, it is hard to do work. but when you believe something good will come out of learning this stuff, then it’s different. it feels always better to see a future than to see nothing.

1 Like