Is the first certificate's name incorrect?

I was searching about the differences of Web Design and Web Development this days, and I found out that a common sense is that Web Design is planning a website or app and Web Development is actually writing the code that will make it real.

And then I realized that the first certificate in fCC’s curriculum is called “Responsive Web Design”, when we actually do basic Front-end Responsive Web Development.

Is the certificate’s title really incorrect?

Hey Isaac,

great question!

I think language and terms are dynamic,
meaning both change all the time.

Back in the days, web design was mostly HTML and CSS: adding content and make it look nice.

The term “web design” is normally used to describe the design process relating to the front-end (client side) design of a website including writing markup. Web design partially overlaps web engineeringin the broader scope of web development.

Source

Nowadays, by adding all the interactivate with JavaScript and its growing eco system, I think it becomes more and more technical and engineering-ish, so we add Development to it, to describe this bigger thing.

Responsive Web Design is a “fixed term” (don’t know what the correct English term is), so although the meaning of Web Design changed, the whole term is pretty useful.

1 Like

Hello Miku,

Thanks for the answer.

Indeed people blur the lines between the two terms, but freeCodeCamp shouldn’t.
I’m convinced that the certificate’s name should be “Responsive Front-end Web Development”.
Today writing HTML and CSS is doing front-end development. At least this is a common sense I have seen in my researches.

A front-end developer takes the visual design of a website (whether they created that design or it was handed to them by a visual designer) and builds it in code. A front-end developer uses HTML for the structure of the site, CSS to dictate the visual styles and layout, and perhaps even some Javascript.

Source - Lifewire

In the early days of the web, the answer to that question was simple: designers design and developers code. Today that question requires a little more nuance–you’d be hard pressed to find a web designer who didn’t know at least a little HTML and CSS, and you won’t have to look far for a front-end web developer who can whip up a storyboard.

Source - Upwork
In this article from Upwork they make it very clear that dealing with HTML and CSS is part of Web Development.

If I learned how to do Responsive Front-end Web Development, I don’t want to show people a “Responsive Web Design” certificate…