Is the JavaScript learning path correct?

I’m taking the JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Certification course and in the ES6 lessons I’ve came across subjects that I didn’t heard about before but they are there without any explanation, such as this one:

I never heard about Array.prototype.slice() in the previous lessons, but it is mentioned here as if I was supposed to know about it.

I am following the conventional freeCodeCamp learning path since the beginning. Am I supposed to learn something else between the Basic JavaScript and the ES6 lessons?

1 Like

you are right, slice is mentioned later for the first time.
You can solve it even without knowing about slice, if you understand what it is doing (which is getting part of the array and storing it in an variable)

for reference, this is where slice is explained for the first time: https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-data-structures/copy-array-items-using-slice

you can report it as a bug if you want:

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

2 Likes

@ilenia thank you.

I actually found another place where are mentioned things that where not explained before:

Here, map(), filter(), reduce() and how to manipulate the arguments of a Rest parameter where never explained before, although it is mentioned as if I was supposed to know about it.

In this one, I have to actually use reduce() to complete the lesson, even without being taught about it.

you don’t have to use reduce, it’s already there

you need to make sure that the function can accept any number of parameters

if you want to know what reduce() does, you can google it

(remember, the Read-Search-Ask method is your best friend)

1 Like

Yes, I did the research, and I already did the lessons, I’m just pointing out that some things are mentioned without have been taught before.
Saving them in this thread to fill a bug report when I finish the course.