Is there someone who has been at rock-bottom that I can ask for life/career advice in private?

I’m in between a rock and a hard place with my studies and life circumstances. I want to continue coding but I want to have a more optimal life situation for it, but I’m also trying to fix my work history.

I’d much rather someone PM me and talk in private due to the private nature of it, but in general I do have these public questions:

• If I succeed in getting my Fullstack Web Developer certification, will my bad work history completely stop me from getting jobs as an employee or even clients as a freelancer?

• Before or after getting all of my certifications, what’s a good way to start getting some source of revenue?

• If you could choose between studying abroad and focusing all your time and energy on coding, or taking a non-coding-related volunteer gig that can fix your resume but eat up a lot of your time, which one would you pick?

Hello~!

I am very sorry to hear you are facing these struggles. It is a tough time for many people, and I hope things turn around for you soon.

I am not quite sure what you mean by “bad work history”. I would say that a potential employer will look at your employment history, sure. Potential flags might be something like having multiple jobs in a short time span (which could suggest that a candidate doesn’t commit to a job). But even then, if you can sell yourself in an interview it is very much possible to overcome that.

Freelancing is an excellent option, for sure. It’s a great way to get some income in while also building up your development experience and expanding your skillset. But it’s also hard. With freelancing, you’re taking an already difficult task (development) and layering on all of the aspects of running your own business on top of it. You’d be sourcing clients, managing invoices/payments, and many other business-related aspects.

Another thing to consider is that it is perfectly acceptable to find an entirely unrelated job to make ends meet while you continue to study. This process is a marathon, not a sprint, and it’s totally reasonable to take unrelated jobs to ensure your needs are met.

I’m not entirely sure that a “non-coding-related volunteer gig” would fix your resume - at least, not specifically for landing a developer job. Personally, I’d spend that time contributing to open source projects instead - that’s also volunteer work, can look good on a resume, and has the added benefit of making connections and building relationships with developers in the community.

While some of these answers will apply to generic situations, a lot of this is difficult to answer because the answers change depending on one’s personal situation. So take what I’ve said with a grain of salt. What works for my situation may or may not work for yours.

Best of luck in your journey, and I very much hope things turn around for you soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like