Is this a stupid portfolio?

Absolutely stunning portfolio, albeit it feels slow on some rendering.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to put the arrows in the middle, in line with the texts, but if it’s your intention, it’s fine. Maybe those snow flakes are causing some performance issues? idk.

The coffee eCommerce website;
Project description made an impression that you made some client work, however, visiting the website you see many unfinished pages that lead nowhere - perhaps wait to finish the project before you publish it in your portfolio, or state in the description that this is an ongoing project.

The game, I’m impressed just by the idea that you’ve put up a functioning game! wow! looks impressive on it’s own :wink:

Hope the above is helpful

1 Like

Hola Jesse, tu trabajo sencillamente está Genial, Muchas Felicidades! Se ve muy profesional, me gusta mucho. Lo único que desfavorece tu trabajo es lo demasiado lento que se mueve, si arreglas eso, simplemente sera perfecta, te digo que está muy por encima del promedio. Muy lejos de ser un trabajo de principiantes.
Felicitaciones por tan excelente trabajo. Saludos

1 Like

This is joke? Hm… Its so cool.

1 Like

Hi borispov,

That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks for checking out the whole site and giving me some tips.

I’m going to figure out whether to replace the coffee site or fix it, but I agree with you and I’m glad you said something.

Thanks again!

In case you do end up leaving this in, you have an extra comma. It should be “simple and intuitive”

Hey, the library app took 10 sec to open…

yeah, the library is hosted for free on heroku so it takes time to load up.
once I start applying for jobs I will have it so it comes up instantly.

Hi Jesse! Amazingly beautiful, elegant yet simple portfolio with an impressive arsenal of skills to boot!

1. I quite enjoy the parallax screen since it shows that you understand the importance of animation with websites and is quite fun especially with that background.

2. One word, Git! Source control is a very, VERY desirable skill.
I would have liked to be able to see previous iterations of your code as you develop the websites to get an insight into your process of developing websites. It’s also comforting for freelance clients if you can give them access to the Github repository, provide some basic instruction on how to access the repository and then they can track their project live as you work on it (similar to tracking a parcel scheduled for delivery). It’s also great for getting employed by a website development company because they’ll often use Git for their collaborative projects and it’s important that you know how to work in a team environment by leaving appropriate commit messages, ReadMe documentation, etc.

3. I believe it should scroll back to the beginning because it reduces the maximum scrolls required to access any of the pages. 1 scroll to get back to the beginning versus 4 scrolls for example. It’s a minor UX thing but these days people have such limited time that any “time-saving” techniques are greatly appreciated!

4. It sounds like a fun concept but this is a professional website and business owners/hiring managers certainly don’t have the spare time to be playing duck hunt!

5. It’s fine but there’s been a few replies with some great ideas for how to improve it.

6. The biggest problem yet strongest strength of the website is that it can feel unprofessional at times? For example, the truth about poop being the featured book for your Personal Library Notebook project, the role-playing game Heart of the Labyrinth and the background aesthetic all remind me of early flash games through websites like Newgrounds.

BUT! It also reminds users that you’re a human being and have your own personality so i quite enjoy it but just remember going forward that the aesthetic of your portfolio website may be the make or break point for potential clients.

7. It’s not bad but all these required fields are a barrier to entry and as stupid as it sounds… Why should I take the time to write a paragraph about my project and enter all these details when i can go to another web developer and maybe enter my first name, e-mail and phone number?

You want to make it as easy as possible for users to accept your call-to-action whether it be auto-filling forms, reducing the amount of data capture, etc. Me? I would remove the website, last, budget and project info inputs because you can decide all of that either through e-mails or over the phone.

8. I love the website as a whole and it’s definitely a pleasant user experience overall but there’s just a few things that could really improve the website and hopefully get you more clients.

1 Like

bro great work.keep it up

1 Like

its simply awesome buddy!

1 Like

Thanks for the awesome advice @JordanSosa!

I’ll work on implementing the ideas you came up with. I agree with pretty much everything you said, and I had a feeling the ‘unprofessional’ kind of feel would be something to be aware of.

I’m glad you like it, thanks again for the input!

1 Like