Is this really an entry-level job?

I’ve been looking for an entry level positions (Python in particular) and saw this ad a couple of times recently. Are these qualifications pretty common for entry-level positions? If so I have a long way to go and no idea how to get there. :roll_eyes:
Cheers

**Entry Level Python Developer**
Qualifications

* Should know how to work in large verities of libraries, frameworks, and modules
* Duck typing, string, tuple and Lambda knowledge required
* Skills Required-Knowledge of Python web frameworks and event-driven programming in Python
* Basic understanding of front-end technologies
* High attention to detail
* Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
* Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
* Bachelors, Masters in Computer Science/ Computer Engineering/ Information Systems/Information Technology/ Electrical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering
* Filing of H1b and Green card

About Us:
---details omitted

Job Description:
* Should know how to work in large verities of libraries, frameworks, and modules
* Duck typing, string, tuple and Lambda knowledge required
* Django Frame work required
* Worked on Django model, CBV, Django CRUD operation

Skills Required:
* Knowledge of Python web frameworks and event-driven programming in Python.
* Basic understanding of front-end technologies.
* High attention to detail.
* Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
* Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
* Know the classes of SCALA, Traits of SCALA, and Collection of SCALA

Education Requirement:
• Bachelors, Masters in Computer Science/ Computer Engineering/ Information Systems/Information Technology/ Electrical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering.

Full time position

Candidate who are missing the required skills, might be provided an option to enhance their skills, so that they can also apply for the role and can make a career in IT industry.
1 Like

Yes and no.

Most job applications are a wish list, if you cover parts of the requirement solidly then yes you should apply.

At a bare minimum you should know what you don’t know from the list. If you never heard of duck typing, or django or why you’d want to use it, then you might want to brush up on those topics before applying. You don’t need to be an expert, but you should at least be aware of what you know and don’t know.

I usually recommend looking at job postings as a “starting point” of what to look into, as they usually list easily searchable terms. From there you can start to look/read into things more in-depth. It’s a quick way to get a “roadmap”.

However, it can be overwhelming or discouraging, but job applications are usually the “goal”, so starting with what the goal requires is the single most relevant “test” against your current skills.

Finally, yes it might be a lot, but most of the entry level jobs are directly looking for those that just got out of college getting the degree specified learning to do at least some of what is mentioned in the job application.

I posted something similar some time ago because of this. The requirements are mad. At some point I believed that I only knew the half of what I needed in order to apply. But the reality is that you don’t need to know everything. If you know most of the required skills, you would learn the rest of the skills eventually (while in the job).
I had many rejections, but also got to a few final stage interviews. At the end, I got a job where I met half of the skills required, but I believe that they saw in me is that I can learn .
I mean, in Freecodecamp we are all self taught developers, right? Maybe not self self because we have a lot of people in the community to help us (they have saved me a lot of times), but we don’t have teachers like uni students do, or bootcamp students do, so a lot of times we learn the rough way.

5 Likes

Two things jumped out about this that made me raise my eyebrows:

1. The word “verities” is both spelled wrong and incorrect grammar. It should be “variety”.
  2. I’ve never seen “Filing of H1b and Green card” listed. It’s pretty common to see “permitted to live and work in the United States” or “US citizenship”. I don’t think that it even makes sense to hold both an H1B and a Green Card at the same time. The H1B Visa can be a path to a Green Card.

Wording that doesn’t make sense is always a red flag for me. But ignoring those and looking at the actual content…

For an entry level position it’s unrealistic to expect so many specific tools, patterns, and processes - especially requiring them to be within a specific language. That’s something that the actual hiring managers would expect to compromise on. Even getting that specific is a bit odd in an entry level posting.

UNLESS…
The wording is ambiguous. That education bullet might be saying that they require a graduate degree in a related field. Usually I would expect that to be more clearly stated, but this job posting is trash, so who knows. If this job requires a Master’s, then it might also require more specific language experience.

3 Likes

For me, I have a Master’s in computer science and an undergraduate in applied math with a minor in computer science… But my degree was earned back in the 90’s so most of these things didn’t exist back then and the languages I learned and used back in the day aren’t used anymore (for the most part). My career path didn’t involve coding but it was in IT. So now I am doing my best learning what is current, but ad postings like this one really throw me off. :thinking:

I’m not a recruiter or career coach or anything, just someone who’s been in the industry for a while and job changed a few times. I don’t consider myself to be a good source of specific advice. Generally speaking though, if you’re working on deciphering job posts I would translate this one as “You should be good at Python and know enough about these other things to speak intelligently about them.”

It’s normal to expect new hires, including entry level new hires, to start making code contributions in the first few weeks (with help and support). So when you look at the technology list of a job posting, try asking yourself “Does this sound like a project I could get in there and start working on?”

2 Likes

Most job ads are just word vomit. If you feel you’re a good developer in a particular area such as Python and its ecosystem and match the description broadly, then apply.

2 Likes