It feels like every time I gain knowledge about coding I realize I know nothing

I’ll gain confidence doing some coding problems and even get a correct solution - But when I look at the posted solution I realize it was nothing like what I had and I realize I know nothing. Is this normal?

Hi @gtrman97 !

Yeah it is normal.
Just remember that there is more than one way to solve a problem.

Some of the solutions might be more advanced or use methods that you have not seen before.

It is all part of the learning process.

1 Like

You knew enough to get a working solution right? So you can’t say you know nothing. There’s almost always better/different ways to do things. Finding those out, understanding them, and possibly even utilizing them later is all part of the learning process.

Programming is hard, there are a few ways to do things, and infinite ways to screw it up. The fact its hard is what makes it rewarding, don’t diminish your achievements because you find a better solution, learn from what you find and keep moving along, getter better each time. :slight_smile:

Good luck, keep building, keep learning, keep growing!

2 Likes

That’s true. I suppose the problem is not that I know nothing it’s that I think I know nothing.

1 Like

I’ve been doing programming for supercomputers for roughly 4 years. I still feel like I know nothing. Imposter syndrome bites us all. All we can do is learn and keep writing betterer code. Refactoring and learning is part of the process.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.