It feels like every time I gain knowledge about coding I realize I know nothing

I’ll gain confidence doing some coding problems and even get a correct solution - But when I look at the posted solution I realize it was nothing like what I had and I realize I know nothing. Is this normal?

Hi @gtrman97 !

Yeah it is normal.
Just remember that there is more than one way to solve a problem.

Some of the solutions might be more advanced or use methods that you have not seen before.

It is all part of the learning process.

1 Like

You knew enough to get a working solution right? So you can’t say you know nothing. There’s almost always better/different ways to do things. Finding those out, understanding them, and possibly even utilizing them later is all part of the learning process.

Programming is hard, there are a few ways to do things, and infinite ways to screw it up. The fact its hard is what makes it rewarding, don’t diminish your achievements because you find a better solution, learn from what you find and keep moving along, getter better each time. :slight_smile:

Good luck, keep building, keep learning, keep growing!

2 Likes

That’s true. I suppose the problem is not that I know nothing it’s that I think I know nothing.

1 Like

I’ve been doing programming for supercomputers for roughly 4 years. I still feel like I know nothing. Imposter syndrome bites us all. All we can do is learn and keep writing betterer code. Refactoring and learning is part of the process.