I've pretty much give up on getting a job In tech

Don’t give up! You are worthy of happiness and your dream life / job.

There’s some great advice here already. My two cents:

It sounds like you are passionate about VR and have some skills already. Keep it fun and keep learning. Go deep into VR if it excites you. Not many people know how to build VR. Remember: learn in public! Let people see what you are doing. Twitter is great for this.

Focus on your networking skills. I just landed a great job through networking consistently for over 18 months. Make friends with people in the industry. Ask questions and show your skills and character.

Keep going, you will get there.

Check out ikigai too to see if you are going in the right direction

(see photo).

Don’t give up! You are worthy of happiness and your dream life / job.

There’s some great advice here already. My two cents:

It sounds like you are passionate about VR and have some skills already. Keep it fun and keep learning. Go deep into VR if it excites you. Not many people know how to build VR. Remember: learn in public! Let people see what you are doing. Twitter is great for this.

Focus on your networking skills. I just landed a great job through networking consistently for over 18 months. Make friends with people in the industry. Ask questions and show your skills and character.

Keep going, you will get there.

1 Like

Now that what I am talking about make your own job you have the knowledge and the experience now all you need is the nerves to JUST DO IT!

I also gave up on getting a tech job. I’m 24, have always struggled with social anxiety, depression, low self esteem etc. and spend all my time alone. Have put so many hours into learning programming with nothing to show for it. When my friend got me a job interview at a data warehouse they were pretty rude to me, told my friend they wanted someone with a personality. I’m pretty much a robot 90% of the time. Nonverbal, just complete my tasks one by one like a computer program.

I personally had a bad experience with mental health facilities when I was thinking about suicide. I was basically beat up by the staff members at a crisis center several times because I kept running away because I just wanted to go home instead of sitting in an empty room with a bunch of drugees for a week. I hate wasting my time. When I got out of the mental hospital I got fired from my job and I spent the next year laying in my bed with no one to talk to. I don’t know if I’m autistic, schizoid, or what. When I am in public I just keep to myself and say the bare minimum to get whatever I’m doing done. I don’t show much personality or emotion.

I recently started taking this drug called modafinil which is supposed to give you a lot of energy and motivation so I hope that will help me get back into tech and finally get a job. I’ve been working as a pizza driver the past few months and have seen a lot of messed up stuff, have had my phone stolen out of my car, am putting thousands of miles on my car and putting a lot of money into repairs. I don’t get paid enough for this. It’s time I get a real job.

I’ve been in crisis services a lot and I’ve never been assaulted by staff, I hope you reported that.

Was modafinil prescribed to you? While that will combat your low mood stimulants are not going to help you anxiety.

" autistic, schizoid" you should have been given a diagnosis by crisis team.

It sounds like you could benefit from more councilling rather than more drugs.

I called lawyers, reported it to the oklahoma department of mental health, nothing was ever done about it. The therapist that filed a petition to have me involuntarily committed to stay an extra 2 weeks (and ultimately lose my job) also filed a restraining order against me because I called her and asked about getting the involuntary commitment removed. Also because I drove up there at 2 am and let them know how pissed off I was about what they did. They totally fucked me - I lost my job, apartment, etc- and then they dumped me out the doors and left me with nothing and no help.

They gave me a depression “diagnosis” and that’s about it. Nothing I didn’t already know. But the depression is a side effect of something else. All the counselors I’ve talked to seem clueless and like they’re just there for the pay check, don’t have much insight to give.

My problem is I just cannot connect with people. Everything I do is awkward. I barely speak and have a blank expression most of the time.

You were not offered any kind of therapy or councilling?

Plenty of horror stories to go around about institutional “care”. I’ve only secondhand experience with such places, but seen it plenty close up with friends and family. Typically they either a) slap a quick diagnosis on you and get you out the door as case #35645234 next! or b) hold you until your insurance runs out. #notalllooneybins of course, but still, another reason to be in control of your own health and not let someone else dictate it.

And it’s just health, it’s not like you have a moral taint or a broken soul or whatever, it’s just something wrong with your brain’s hardware. Oh and all the habits accumulated as a result of it are software. Go patch it, do it your way, and tell anyone who tells you not to to get bent.

2 Likes

I spent 3 weeks in there and they barely even talked to me. Obviously I was bored out of my mind not being able to check my phone or computer and having to sit and wait for days and days with nothing to do.

I got a case manager when I finally got out and had appointments with him every couple weeks or so. But he didn’t really have any answers for me either. My mom stopped taking me to see him and at that point I had no car. Every time I tried to talk to my mom she would tell me I seemed like I wasn’t in my right mind and things like that, even though I was being perfectly sane and logical. I’m so sick of people treating me like there is something wrong with me. I put so much effort into everything I do and it never pays off. If only I was allowed to have friends or something as a kid, I would have some social skills. Instead I was treated like trash and spent all my time alone in my room like harry potter.

Checkout Dylan Israel’s You Tube channel.

He was a Pizza delivery boy too. Now he is a remote Front-End Developer with a girlfriend, 60k subs and much more.

You will be inspired by this.

1 Like

You’re a good man, kind sir :+1:t2:

1 Like