Joined in April, got a job as a junior front-end developer!

amazing, thanks so much for that!

Congrats, and to echo above–always good to hear some success stories! Also glad to see you’re continuing to challenge yourself on the logic front in another setting you feel more comfortable with.

I also think the algorithms are pretty critical at learning how to navigate data structures with javascript. I remember pulling my hair out and forcing myself to sleep on a problem before I went back and tried one again. Doing them myself and then reading the various styles of solution in the Guides (now saved in this forum) really drilled into my how best to apply all the array methods (.map, .filter, .reduce, .forEach, etc.) to get around and pick out just the exact data I need.

This has been very helpful since my first job has been working on a single-page app that requires making calls to dozens of different APIs returning different data structures (and sometimes with half the structure empty). I’ve actually been interviewing new candidates for the team, and it’s amazing how many candidates, even with a few years of experience don’t know how to use these basic Array methods.

So keep pushing yourself outside your comfort zone! Good luck.

1 Like

@francescacosta - super excited to hear this from you , congrats…But a little point here, i believe one must go through algorithm as with out them one is totally dependent on shortcut methods like map,filter,reduce etc…

I am solving each and every algorithm without using these methods and using control logic and loops , and its good , i am at step 273 right now …

Congrats again

Regards

1 Like

Congratulations on the job :smiley:

If you don’t mind, I would love it if you could post the email that you sent, please?
I have been stressing over how I’m going to apply for a junior position without any previous work (web development) because I’ve found that even those positions want you to have experience and a lot of companies want a portfolio of 5 to 6 websites - it’s very intimidating and I started to feel like I would never be able to get a job.

But reading your post has made me feel very positive about finding a job :slight_smile:
Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and say I am in the exact same boat as you @Nicole ! I would also love to see the email that @francescacosta. I am hoping that showcasing completed projects will up my chances with getting hired as a junior level. Congrats on the job, btw, @francescacosta!

1 Like

@Nicole @bordenm

Here you go!

Hi Thrive Team,

Hope you are having a wonderful day :slight_smile:

My name is Francesca, and I am an aspiring Front-End developer / Although I would love to eventually grow into a Full Stack Developer.

I must say I took a look at your website, and find your work really inspired and interesting, involving a market I would love to grow to become an expert in as it involves passion, inspiration, keeping up and growing my design talent and work in different fields including web and applications!

I have been studying coding with a partner whom is a Senior Software Engineer, and working through a couple of courses online such as Free Code Camp for the past 3 months.

Although I do not yet feel confident to apply for the position you have on seek I was wondering if I could be of some help full-time as an intern and learn from you all with my current skill level.

I have been doing really well with CSS + HTML, but am still struggling a little with Javascript. Some concepts are starting to come together nicely, but I do need more time before I would be able to apply for this position. I have also discovered I am quite natural with website design, however I still have a lot to learn.

**I am fairly proficient in both Photoshop and Illustrator, and spend a lot of time learning more. **

**I would be able to help out up to 5 days a week within the next two weeks. **

Please feel free to contact me to discuss anything further, or call me to learn more about my current study.

**I will link all the relevant information and projects below so you can take a look at the work I have completed, design, and some code on my codePen, as well as gaining some insight into my current skill level to see if I can be of some assistance. **

Thanks for taking the time to read my email either way :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Francesca x

https://www.freecodecamp.com/francescacosta

https://github.com/francescacosta

https://codepen.io/francescacosta/pens/public/#

PS: Here is some design work that is not yet hosted online, as I am also playing around with creating a blog about health to learn more.

Then I gave them some pictures of a design I was working on.

I really hope this helps :slight_smile:

I think the key is being open to working as an intern for them as a while, as this is how I got my foot in the door :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@blackmorrow

Yes I totally agree it would be great to be able to solve these, as I said in my post I am hoping to come back to them, and playing some logic games online to help me build up my left, because as for now there is no way my brain could wrap around anything like they are giving even in the early challenges. It jumps too quickly into that, and for someone who has no kind of experience in those sorts of logic puzzles, there is no help to be gained. Through working on small projects and playing Javascript games online, I feel my brain is becoming developed in the areas required to solve these puzzles, and I of course will come back to them.

Yes you know earlier when i would look at those problems , i was really thinking , this can take lot of time , but not so much now, also now you will learn much more at job, however, topics like node.js, data visualization covered here can see a big jump in earnings i guess … i feel good for your hard work … :slight_smile:

@francescacosta I just want to say thank you SO MUCH for posting your story. I am actually on the algorithms section myself and have been struggling with them. I was starting to wonder if I was cut out for this, despite how much I love it. Your story has encouraged me to step outside the box and try something else.
Also, thank you for posting your letter to them and your codepen. I am definitely planning to use them as reference.
Again, thank you, and Congrats! :tada:

1 Like

@GadgetgirlMommy

Naw, you are so welcome, I know I needed a bit of inspiration too, I was just lucky I had my partner for that. But I also know other success stories on this forum helped me as well.

I hope when you email future employers that my letter helps you!

X

1 Like

Thank you for writing your story. It inspires me to keep coding every day.

Congrats on the position. I can only hope someday I will find the same opportunity.

1 Like

You are so welcome! Don’t wait for a job go get an internship!!! X

1 Like

I have an idea similar to yours…regarding the coding practice app. How about we male this happen…lets GIT it! :joy:

Thanks so much for posting it :slight_smile: I am definitely going to use it as a reference when I apply for positions - hopefully very soon!

@Nicole you are welcome, good luck!

Congratulation on the job.

1 Like

hi dear , i have seen your work and its awesome , i find your story very realistic . i was hoping if you can see my projects and advise me how can i improve them so that i can get a job like you in near future , the link

thank you for your time ,
regards
shahrukh

Reading posts like this is incredibly discouraging for me. I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in June of 2016 and have completed all of the front end certificate section except for the simon game and have yet to get an internship or a job. Yet someone can spend less time and effort and get lucky and get an internship just because her cover letter reads well.

I’m not saying you don’t deserve it i’m just upset that I haven’t been able to find anything.

this website is beautiful! Well done!!! Your post is very inspiring :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MP7373

Sorry to hear that.

I don’t know if its just about my letter reading right, it shows I have the right attitude, which I do, willing to work and learn for free untill I’m good enough to be paid.

It’s a shame you haven’t been able to find a job yet I am sorry about that. It could depend on availability?

In Australia this kind of profession is in high demand so people are willing to take people with less experience and teach them. People even hire juniors before they are juniors if they aren’t willing to work for free sometimes. That could be a part of it?

Maybe try sending off something similar to mine and show them you are willing to work? Try that approach and see how you go!

1 Like