Just to Learn About PWAs, the Next Attempt

This is the replacement thread for my prior attempt to get a personal project off the ground. The project would be a create an app (any old web app) and incrementally change it into a PWA (Progressive Web App). I want to use what I’ve learned on FreeCodeCamp about creating web applications using the MERN stack (MongoDB, Express, React, Node.) Most people doing web development use a Mac. I prefer to use ubuntu for command line work and I’ve been working on getting ubuntu environment established on my laptop. That kind of where I’m at. In fact I am making this post from the ubuntu side of my laptop. In terms of getting ubuntu setup as my development environment, I’ve gotten node.js / npm installed along with vscode (editing weapon of choice) and I’ve decided to use a tutorial video series,
“Learn The MERN Stack” by Traversy

as a guide on developing a basic MERN application. While the example he uses is a shopping list app. I’m going to see if I can bend this into a ToDo app. I have a larger plan to take my eventual PWA app and try to evolve it further into a ToDo app for reoccuring tasks. So the new and hopefully more productive attempt at this project is underway. Wish me luck!

Well, This Ain’t Working:
You’ve probably been told if you are trying to learn to code, that you need to code some every day. I agree with this. But it’s not what I’ve been doing. Unfortunately, I am in a situation where I have a number of other priorities that are not making it feasible for me to code every day right now.

Of course, any of us could say this. There are jobs, relationships, kids. There are good causes and passions besides coding that we each pursue. Yep. Those don’t go away, there will always be other stuff.

In the past, I have found that I have learned the most about coding when I have made it the first priority when I wake up. Get up, get coffee, sit at the computer and start coding. I learned quite a bit about Java that way. I worked on coding challenges in https://www.hackerrank.com/ first thing every day for several months. I learned a lot during that time and really got that feeling of truly gaining a grasp of something challenging.

I would like to be able to do that with this project. But I’m going to be going through a complicated move across the country in the next couple of months. But I am trying to work on this project when I can. But lately, I’ve been working on the project every few weeks. And that ain’t working. Figuring out where I left off weeks after the last time I worked on this project is making the time I put into it way less productive.

So what am I going to do about that? Well for the next couple of months, I really can’t make time for coding every day. But my original intention was to work on this project every few days. If I can do that, working on the project every few days, not every few weeks, then I can at least make what little time I can put in far more productive. And, during this time, I’ll be working to get through this move so that at the other end, I’ll be able to set up a good workspace and be able to establish that routine of coding every day once the move is done.

Wish me luck! I’ll let you know how it’s going.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.