{
    <h2>Welcome to React!</h2> <br />
    <p>Be sure to close all tags!</p>
    <hr />
    }
  </div>
);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.99 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/front-end-libraries/react/learn-about-self-closing-jsx-tags

Hint: Anything between the { } is expected to be JavaScript, so having html between the { } is a problem. Just resolve this problem and you will pass the challenge, because you have correctly closed the tags which were open.

Well, everything between the braces has to be valid JSX, which can be either plain JavaScript or HTMLish syntax, but crucially (and the reason OP is getting the error), a JSX expression using the HTMLish syntax must have a single parent element.

You can do something like this:

return (
  <div>
      <p />
      <p />
  </div>
);

Or this:

return (
  <div>
    {
      <p /> //it's tough being a single parent, but this `<p>` does it at the same time as holding down a full-time job!
    }
  </div>
);

But not this:

return (
  <div>
    {
      <p />
      <p /> //nope
    }
  </div>
);

I have already fixed it realizing my dumb mistake. However I have another problem as I accidentally recursively called a component inside of itself and I can not fix it as my computer keeps on crashing. Is there anyway to reset my code from outside of the activity page?

Thank you for catching my incorrect verbiage. For some reason I was thinking anything between the { } was interpreted strictly as JS. So the { } acts similar to the ( ) around the div element? Like a block? I am still fairly new to JSX and React, so it is good to learn something new.

Try this (shortcuts work in Chrome, may vary in other browsers):

• Open the page
  • Ctrl+ESC to open the browser task manager
  • Kill the page
  • Ctrl+Shift+J to open the browser console
  • Run localStorage.clear()
  • Reload with F5

The parentheses () around the div are just for grouping. They are functionally equivalent to the parentheses in (1 + 2) * 3. In fact, they can often be omitted, but occasionally, omitting them will cause problems (similar to omitting semicolons).

I think (?) that’s correct that the braces {} do create a block scope, but their main purpose here is to signal to the compiler that we want the stuff between them to be interpreted as an expression. If that expression is a JSX block, we’d need further braces inside if we wanted to use other expressions. I can’t think of a use case where you’d want to do something like my #2 example, but it should at least compile with no problems.