Learn Accessibility by Building a Quiz - Step 47

I find the entire accessibility lesson frustrating and disappointing. Unlike the other lessons, there is no teaching in this one. The only way to get through the questions is to put down any answer so you get a hint (s), or bypass the question completely and check the coding in the next question. And then you have to teach yourself (with a lot of googling) why the coding is the way it is. I hope the next lessons are not like this one, or I’ll give up on freeCodeCamp.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear that it may not suit the type you are looking for.

But as far as I know, this is called project-based learning. Yes, it involves a lot of research, asking a question, and reading documentation.
Because that’s by far what most of the software engineering in the field will look like.

Best of luck on your journey.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’re a staff member, but I would like to get their view on this. Before, everything was explained. Now we’re asked question after question that we can’t answer. What is the strategy? I “cheat” and look ahead and try to make sense of the coding, but is this what we’re expected to do?

1 Like

hi there,

I’m not a staff member, but I know a bit about the method of the new design of the curriculum. Basically, no, you should not be cheating.
Instead, you should be trying to solve one question at a time and over time, the questions get harder to solve, so you must rely on what you learned before or retain something from it otherwise you will be constantly stuck.

The reason I heard about why the long explanations were removed in favor of shorter task-based work is because it was found that people do not read.
Now, I know that this statement is not true for every single person on the planet.
It may not be true for you.
But I guess it was found that people would just skip the long explanation of the why and go straight to the do. And of course, learn nothing so then they end up being horribly stuck in the project.

I know this is not a comprehensive answer from someone who was there during the redesign, but this is what I have gathered from people who have discussed various aspects with me (including the founder Quincy).

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

I don’t see these questions as problems that we have the wherewithal to solve if only we remembered earlier lessons. They are requests for specific facts we have not been taught. In just the four lessons 45-48, the answers involved the element > element selector; properties such as inherit, text-decoration, pointer, spacing-evenly and spacing-between; and the hover pseudo class. We were taught none of these. I finally gave up when the question was to fix the header to the top of the viewport. Really? How would I know?

And I don’t just cheat and leave it there. I research and study all these areas on my own and do the lessons over and over. But to continually get factual questions I cannot possibly answer is beyond frustrating. I sometimes think I must have missed a lesson somewhere, but unfortunately, that is not the case.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree. Can you be specific and show a step that you thought you were completely unprepared for?

I just gave you a number of examples in my post. The last one I took verbatim from lesson 47. I tried: margin-top: 0;

but, the answer was: position: fixed; top: 0; We never learned either property.

hi again, I did some research and found out that yes for the position: fixed step 47 is the first one we mention it. (I haven’t had time to check the other one)

At this point we can open an issue to request a fix for this. Would you like to do that?
You can mention any others that you believe were never introduced as well.

let me know

Yes, I would.

By the way, since you have the power to effectuate changes on this website, I have another suggestion. Why not add descriptions to lesson steps, like in the legacy course? I used to waste a lot of time hunting around for previous coding I’d forgotten. Now I create my own descriptions for each step in every lesson. I don’t understand why this essential feature of the old course wasn’t replicated in the new one.

1 Like

i actually agree with that point but i actually have no powers (just a volunteer here since July)

i brought this up and so far the problem seems to be that giving title to every step would be a massive challenge for the translators who are trying to make fCC available on many languages.

However I believe someone did suggest maybe making a search bar of some kind… which sounded good to me. You can add that to your issue as a point of discussion perhaps.

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as [GitHub Issues](https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp/issues). Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn't already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

I tend to agree. I’m not sure the new curriculum always strikes the right balance between learning and doing. I think it may be overemphasizing the learn-by-doing and I can see people often being left wondering why they are doing what they are doing.

Having it project-based with short steps with little text and still teaching theory is also very difficult and getting the balance right is hard.

The curriculum is still new and there is definitely room for improvement. But the feedback does suggest people really like the project-based approach and I do think it is much better than teaching theory with little doing.

Coding more, reading less > reading more, coding less.

3 Likes

I think it would be great to have a “learn more” type link for people who want to understand more when a new subject especially is being introduced.

1 Like

Having links inside the steps goes against the main philosophy as you are now taken out of the coding flow and into text based theory learning. Which also has the potential of becoming a rabbit hole pretty quick.

I wouldn’t mind if each section had resource links at the end which served as a study guide to the subject taught.

2 Likes

Why not simply continue writing lessons the way they were until this one? Most new coding was explained, sometimes cursorily, but enough to feel like your learning had momentum. Now I feel stalled at every step.

3 Likes

btw pls post a link to the issue you opened here (and in reverse, a link to this topic there)

I don’t understand what you mean.

maybe I misunderstood something. Earlier I sent you a link to github issues because I thought you wanted to open an issue for the exercise that mentioned 2 css rules that had not been taught. But maybe you just meant that I should open one?

Im just about finished with all the HTML/CSS lessons, and I can tell you that this one was one of the hardest ones I did. The rest of the lessons are a lot easier. Just try your best to retain as much information as you can.
I actually created a folder for coding copy+paste templates from many of the lessons here. It is tough though, as Ive been putting in about 3 hours a day ontop of my full time job, but as long as you stay consistent everyday, you’ll start to retain a lot of the information better.

2 Likes

Hi Dylan,
Thanks for your email. I’ve been busy with work and haven’t coded since my grousing about the accessibility lesson, but I’m happy to hear that later lessons are easier. I just hope they contain instructions for new material.
What do plan to do now that you’ve finished HTML/CSS?
Tamara

My ultimate reason for learning to code has always been so I can create apps. I have some pretty good ideas for apps which would be good to build, run and latter sell these businesses. In the meantime, I have a clear path towards employment. I’m in the process of building up my portfolio that will ultimately be used to get a job in coding. I’m currently living in CA and looking to move to Las Vegas and once I can land a coding job making 6 figures I’d be able to move. My ultimate goal there will be to buy a new property every year with the amount I’ll be making and house hack them. Eventually moving back to LA to start a family.

As far as my portfolio goes, I still need to learn how to take the code I make in VS Code and paste into a URL from goDaddy and make it so anyone from around the world can view my completed website.

I’m currently studying JavaScript now. With HTML/ CSS, I plowed through a couple YouTube videos on said topics and took notes before attempting the freeCodeCamp course. Now I am doing that with JavaScript.

After JavaScript, I’ll be taking on NodeJS, ExpressJS, React, and then onto Python. All while attempting to run a successful Fiverr account as a freelance coder.

1 Like