Learn Basic CSS by Building a Cafe Menu - Step 1

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I can’t get past this first step. I’ve tried with spaces, indents, skipping lines, all of it. PLZ help!

Your code so far

<!-- User Editable Region -->

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/16.2 Safari/605.1.15

Challenge: Learn Basic CSS by Building a Cafe Menu - Step 1

Link to the challenge:

html elements need a closing tag </html>

i tried, its still not working :confused:

hello and welcome fcc forum :slight_smile:

• your “html” element is missing its “closing” tag (i.e. <p>....</p>)

address that change and it should be alright, happy learning :slight_smile:

That doesn’t work either! I tried doing and every other way. I wonder if it’s a glitch

Please post the code as it looks after you fixed it. I can test it to see if there is some other issue once you have done this.

<html lang="en"

To display your code in here you need to wrap it in triple back ticks. On a line by itself type three back ticks. Then on the first line below the three back ticks paste in your code. Then below your code on a new line type three more back ticks. The back tick on my keyboard is in the upper left just above the Tab key and below the Esc key. You may also be able to use Ctrl+e to automatically give you the triple back ticks while you are typing in the this editor and the cursor is on a line by itself. Alternatively, with the cursor on a line by itself, you can use the </> button above the editor to add the triple back ticks.

You’ll really want to learn how to do the triple back ticks so you can paste your code in here. It is frowned upon to post pics of code.

Also, you are missing the closing > on the opening html tag.

that’s not the problem, I’ve tried that. sorry it’s “frowned upon” but I’m trying to figure out how else to do it.

The attribute/value goes inside the opening tag.

P.S. What’s stopping you from pasting your code in here properly. Did my instructions make sense?

assuming this is what your current attempted code for this step, “lang=en” is on wrong place

if you read from this hint once again, you will see it mentions to “add” lang="en" within “html”, which means within “html” opening tag (i.e. <html attributes goes here....>)

also do share your attempted code along with your screenshot that helps, happy learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

not sure what you mean, I thought that is what I did at first

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">

thanks everyone I figured it out. here’s the answer.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
</html>

very good :slight_smile: :clap:

btw do you see why this below attempt from you was not correct?

happy learning :slight_smile:

We have blurred this solution (with [spoiler][/spoiler] tags) so that users who have not completed this challenge can read the discussion in this thread without giving away the solution.

ps. would be easier if you just skipped posting solutions all together, thx.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.