Learn Form Validation by Building a Calorie Counter - Step 80

Tell us what’s happening:

I am confused as to what is required here specifically on the output element and what variable to declare. I would like assitsance on that

Your code so far

outputElement.innerHTML = ``; ```

```html
<!-- file: index.html -->

/* file: styles.css */

/* file: script.js */
// User Editable Region

function calculateCalories(e) {
  e.preventDefault();
  isError = false;

const breakfastNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#breakfast input[type=number]');
  const lunchNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#lunch input[type=number]');
  const dinnerNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#dinner input[type=number]');
  const snacksNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#snacks input[type=number]');
  const exerciseNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#exercise input[type=number]');

const breakfastCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs(breakfastNumberInputs);
  const lunchCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs(lunchNumberInputs);
  const dinnerCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs(dinnerNumberInputs);
  const snacksCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs(snacksNumberInputs);
  const exerciseCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs(exerciseNumberInputs);
  const budgetCalories = getCaloriesFromInputs([budgetNumberInput]);

if (isError) {
    return;
  }

const consumedCalories = breakfastCalories + lunchCalories + dinnerCalories + snacksCalories;
  const remainingCalories = budgetCalories - consumedCalories + exerciseCalories;
  const surplusOrDeficit = remainingCalories < 0 ? 'Surplus' : 'Deficit';
}

const budget = document.getElementById('budget');
outputElement.innerHTML = ``;

// User Editable Region

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Learn Form Validation by Building a Calorie Counter - Step 80

For this step the instructions are:

You need to construct the HTML string that will be displayed in the output element. Start by assigning an empty template literal to the innerHTML property of the output element on a new line at the end of the function.\

You need to individuate where the calculateCalories function end, and add a last line as required (hint: the last thing in the function right now is the delcaration of surplusOrDeficit, your new line needs to go immediately after that

This is the code I tried and I don’t think I understand what is really required here

const outputElement = document.getElementById('output');
outputElement.innerHTML = '';

the first of these two lines is unnecessary, you have already the #output element from line 6 in variable output .
Removing that and adjusting the variable name, if it doesn’t work for you, please post again all the code you have in the editor

const calorieCounter = document.getElementById('calorie-counter');
const budgetNumberInput = document.getElementById('budget');
const entryDropdown = document.getElementById('entry-dropdown');
const addEntryButton = document.getElementById('add-entry');
const clearButton = document.getElementById('clear');
const output = document.getElementById('output');
let isError = false;

function cleanInputString(str) {
  const regex = /[+-\s]/g;
  return str.replace(regex, '');
}

function isInvalidInput(str) {
  const regex = /\d+e\d+/i;
  return str.match(regex);
}

function addEntry() {
  const targetInputContainer = document.querySelector(`#${entryDropdown.value} .input-container`);
  const entryNumber = targetInputContainer.querySelectorAll('input[type="text"]').length + 1;
  const HTMLString = `
  <label for="${entryDropdown.value}-${entryNumber}-name">Entry ${entryNumber} Name</label>
  <input type="text" id="${entryDropdown.value}-${entryNumber}-name" placeholder="Name" />
  <label for="${entryDropdown.value}-${entryNumber}-calories">Entry ${entryNumber} Calories</label>
  <input
    type="number"
    min="0"
    id="${entryDropdown.value}-${entryNumber}-calories"
    placeholder="Calories"
  />`;
  targetInputContainer.insertAdjacentHTML('beforeend', HTMLString);
}

e.preventDefault();
  isError = false;

const breakfastNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#breakfast input[type=number]');
  const lunchNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#lunch input[type=number]');
  const dinnerNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#dinner input[type=number]');
  const snacksNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#snacks input[type=number]');
  const exerciseNumberInputs = document.querySelectorAll('#exercise input[type=number]');

if (isError) {
    return;
  }

const consumedCalories = breakfastCalories + lunchCalories + dinnerCalories + snacksCalories;
  const surplusOrDeficit = remainingCalories < 0 ? 'Surplus' : 'Deficit';
}

that seems to be outside the calculateCalories function, where did we said the new line goes instead?

after the ternary operator inside the function

why don’t you try writing it inside the function?

Because it still gives me an error

show your code please

e.preventDefault();
  isError = false;

if (isError) {
    return;
  }

const surplusOrDeficit = remainingCalories < 0 ? 'Surplus' : 'Deficit' ;
}

look again at line 6
read again the error
read carefully your line of code

What is a line? I think We have diffrent version of what a line is. And this is confusong me the most

To me this how I define a line:

“I am going to school” <<<— //This is line 1
“I am learning JavaScript” <<<— //This is line 2

the lines are numbered, you don’t even have to count them

but if that doesn’t help, I will be explicit, you are using the wrong variable name. I wanted you to notice it yourself. (the variable is defined on line 6, the error says output not outputElement, and when I said how to make your line correct, I said you needed to adjust your variable name)

I’m still confused. I even tried Copilot and ChatGPT for solutions and I even provided the html code for it to help me out…it seems like I’m getting more clueless as I look for a solution

you use outputElement, that’s wrong, use output

Thank you. I think I got lost when it said ouput element and decided to input that in the code

look at line 6, do you see that the output variable is defined there?