Learn Greetings in your First Day at the Office - Task 35

Tell us what’s happening:

Describe your issue in detail here.

The description here needs some checking:

“What is the best article to show that Tom is the only new graphic designer in the sentence below?”

the phrase “Hi there, I’m Tom, I’m the new graphic designer” does not necessarily mean that Tom is the only graphic designer. It simply means that Tom is a new graphic designer who has joined the team. There could be other graphic designers on the team as well.

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Learn Greetings in your First Day at the Office - Task 35

You appear to have created this post without editing the template. Please edit your post to Tell us what’s happening in your own words.

This implies a single new graphic designer

The use of “a” here implies there may be other new graphic designers

1 Like

The sentence “Hi there, I’m Tom, I’m the new graphic designer” specifically identifies Tom as the new graphic designer, but it doesn’t provide information about other graphic designers in the company. It focuses on introducing Tom as the individual taking on the role of a graphic designer. To discuss or inquire about other graphic designers in the company, you would need to ask a separate question or provide more context.

I reviewed it multiple times and can’t see any context or grammar POV here clearing that he is the only graphic designer.

He is the new graphic designer - which means maybe there are old graphic designers already available at the company and he is the newly hired one, Not the only graphic designer in the whole company, this is a very different context that needs a clear perspective to identify that.

The question isn’t looking for that to be implied.

What is the best article to show that Tom is the only new graphic designer in the sentence below?

We want to show that Tom is the only new graphic designer. Using the article “a” implies there may be multiple “new graphic designers” while the article “the” implies there is only one entity matching the description.

To put it another way, “a” is an indefinite article. That means “a” is non-specific. There may be multiple instances of the noun (in this case, the noun is “designer” with the adjectives “new” and “graphic”). So, saying “Tom is a new graphic designer” implies there are multiple new graphic designers in the company. We don’t want that!

“An” behaves the same as “a” but is used with words that start with a vowel sound.

On the other hand, “the” is a definite article. That means that “the” refers to a specific entity. In this case, it means that there must only be one of “new graphic designer”, otherwise we couldn’t use the article “the” here.

Since the question is asking us to imply that Tom is the only new graphic designer at the company, we have to use a definite article instead of an indefinite article. Thus, we have to use “the” and not “a” or “an”.

Right, this is exactly what the question is asking for us to say - that Tom is the only new graphic designer. We aren’t asked to imply anything about any graphic designers that aren’t new to the company.