Learn HTML forms by building a registration form, Step 38

Hi how are you? So in Step 38, they say: ’ ‘The textarea element acts like an input element of type text, but comes with the added benefit of being able to receive multi-line text, and an initial number of text rows and columns.

Users will be able to register with a bio. Add a label with the text Provide a bio: at the end of the fieldset. Add a textarea element inside the label element. Note that the textarea requires a closing tag.’
So this was my code initially for this:

<label>Provide a bio:
  <textarea></textarea>
  </label>

But the code wouldn’t pass, I even ended up trying to have it in different parts of my existing code as I thought maybe the cursor we get on any new page had not been placed in the right place. Researching this, I came across a YouTube video where someone was doing this step on screen. He had the entire code on the same line, and his end it passed, but my end, putting everything on the same line didn’t help, and my code was still not passing. Then, upon searching the forum, I saw someone asked a question about the next step in the course, Step 39… So I looked at his code in the ‘my code so far’ section he had. And it was the exact same as mine, I rechecked his ten times, EXCEPT he had skipped a line between lines of code, like this:

<label>Provide a bio:

<textarea></textarea>

</label>

So I added this line of spacing in my own code and it passed. But I don’t get it, is this a bug in FreeCodeCamp? As YouTube guy’s code had passed with every bit of that code on the one line, but I don’t know when he’d recorded that video… Also, I may be new to HTML, but I didn’t know skipping a line between bits of code would influence the code’s syntax… If so, and if skipping lines is crucial at times for the browser to know what to do, what’s the logic of the line skipping in this instance? And I suppose another code editor might have taken my initial code, without the line skipping? Or wouldn’t it?
Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Post your entire code or link to the challenge. By creating help post.

Hi Hasan how are you? :slightly_smiling_face: I think I may have figured this out with yet more research outside of this forum, but sure I can post the link to the challenge… Having said that, I wrote everything relating to that step on here, so it should be enough to understand what I was asking, and as for my code, everything prior to that step passed for me and I explained how I passed that step… But sure… Quick question though: I’ve moved on from that step, since I’d passed it, since then, as I posted in this forum, but since I know sometimes other people take a while to reply and I wasn’t stuck with the course my end, I kept working. But I don’t know this: is it possible to go back to a previous step to post the link to it without deleting progress for that step and subsequent steps passed? Because I am taking notes, in a basic Word document, as I work, and sometimes, if I am on Step 12 and I click to proceed so I can then see Step 13 but then realize I forgot to write something, going back to said Step 12 deletes the code so I have to write it down again. And as I am about ten steps ahead of the step I am mentioning in this post, would going back delete my progress? As it would be a pain to have to redo all those steps… I mean, I suppose it would make sense to be able to go back and look at a previous step, even in a project I did a while back, but I don’t dare ever, in case this deletes all progress, from the step I am looking at, right up to the place I got to. So do you know if this can be done? I am spending as little time as I can getting to know the platform because I just want to sit down and learn the actual coding, rather than FreeCodeCamp’s platform, as much as I can, but yeah, this means I still don’t know this. Thanks for letting me know then, and if it’s feasible, I’ll post the link to the step… Thank you very much! :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: And sorry for deleting my previous post there, for whatever reason, clicking ‘Reply’ never works first time for me, and in order to tag the person I am talking to, I want to press reply… So I often have to copy what I posted and try again, for it to be a proper reply. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

yes, you can click “back” button on your website or going back to main menu and select the step you want to retry (don’t wory it won’t reset your progress)

1 Like

Oh, interesting, I didn’t know that and didn’t want to CHANCE IT, because if I’m on Step 50 and I looked back at Step 2 and then I’d have to redo all steps… I mean, granted, redoing the code a second time wouldn’t be as hard as doing it the first time, but it would feel like a massive waste of time! :sweat_smile: Thank you so much for your reply! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like