Learn HTML Forms by Building a Registration Form - Step 46

I have been learning CSS units, and so far I have learnt em and rem for font size, but I found out that it can also be used for margin and padding. What I am confused about is when adding a number, or auto after x amount of rem. For example, the margin for the form and label is set to 0 auto and 0.5rem 0. It is also the same for the padding in fieldset.

Can someone tell me how this works. Maybe even a link explaining it.

Thanks.

Your code so far

<!-- file: index.html -->
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Registration Form</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" />
  </head>
  <body>
    <h1>Registration Form</h1>
    <p>Please fill out this form with the required information</p>
    <form method="post" action='https://register-demo.freecodecamp.org'>
      <fieldset>
        <label for="first-name">Enter Your First Name: <input id="first-name" name="first-name" type="text" required /></label>
        <label for="last-name">Enter Your Last Name: <input id="last-name" name="last-name" type="text" required /></label>
        <label for="email">Enter Your Email: <input id="email" name="email" type="email" required /></label>
        <label for="new-password">Create a New Password: <input id="new-password" name="new-password" type="password" pattern="[a-z0-5]{8,}" required /></label>
      </fieldset>
      <fieldset>
        <label for="personal-account"><input id="personal-account" type="radio" name="account-type" /> Personal Account</label>
        <label for="business-account"><input id="business-account" type="radio" name="account-type" /> Business Account</label>
        <label for="terms-and-conditions">
          <input id="terms-and-conditions" type="checkbox" required name="terms-and-conditions" /> I accept the <a href="https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/terms-of-service/">terms and conditions</a>
        </label>
      </fieldset>
      <fieldset>
        <label for="profile-picture">Upload a profile picture: <input id="profile-picture" type="file" name="file" /></label>
        <label for="age">Input your age (years): <input id="age" type="number" name="age" min="13" max="120" /></label>
        <label for="referrer">How did you hear about us?
          <select id="referrer" name="referrer">
            <option value="">(select one)</option>
            <option value="1">freeCodeCamp News</option>
            <option value="2">freeCodeCamp YouTube Channel</option>
            <option value="3">freeCodeCamp Forum</option>
            <option value="4">Other</option>
          </select>
        </label>
        <label for="bio">Provide a bio:
          <textarea id="bio" name="bio" rows="3" cols="30" placeholder="I like coding on the beach..."></textarea>
        </label>
      </fieldset>
      <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
    </form>
  </body>
</html>
/* file: styles.css */
body {
  width: 100%;
  height: 100vh;
  margin: 0;
  background-color: #1b1b32;
  color: #f5f6f7;
  font-family: Tahoma;
  font-size: 16px;
}

h1, p {
  margin: 1em auto;
  text-align: center;
}

form {
  width: 60vw;
  max-width: 500px;
  min-width: 300px;
  margin: 0 auto;
}

/* User Editable Region */

fieldset {
  border: none;
  padding: 2rem 0;
}

/* User Editable Region */

label {
  display: block;
  margin: 0.5rem 0;
}

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/108.0.1462.54

Challenge: Learn HTML Forms by Building a Registration Form - Step 46

Link to the challenge:

form, label and fieldset are different html elements. They can be stylized separately. It doesn’t matter if you add pixels or em if you want that specific style to be applied, and you know what you are doing:

Ok. Thanks for the links will make use of it. But I am still confused. For fieldset, the padding is 2rem 0. What does the 0 do to the margin?

Thanks.

Zero in the ‘padding’ means that the left and right red areas in the image called “padding” don’t exist and that the ‘margin’ will shrink following the ‘padding’ change, without changing its values (the margin’s values stay the same).

Maybe this could be of some help:
" Why use rem in CSS?

By default, most browsers use a font size value of 16px. So, if the root element is 16px, an element with the value 1rem will also equal 16px. Therefore, rem units are useful for scaling CSS elements in relation to the size of the root element — even if you don’t know what the default font size will be"

1 Like

I see. I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.