Learn Intermediate CSS by Building a Cat Painting - Step 9

Tell us what’s happening:
Contradiction?

These are step 9’s instructions.

static is the default positioning for all elements. If you assign it to an element, you won’t be able to move it around with top, right, left, or bottom.

Give .cat-head a position property of static, then set the top and left properties to 100px each.

Surely that is a contradiction?
If so, how do I report bugs etc?
Otherwise, what are they talking about?

Your code so far

<!-- file: index.html -->
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>fCC Cat Painting</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="./styles.css">
</head>
<body>
    <main>
      <div class="cat-head"></div>
    </main>
</body>
</html>
/* file: styles.css */
* {
  box-sizing: border-box;
}

body {
  background-color: #c9d2fc;
}

.cat-head {

/* User Editable Region */

/* User Editable Region */

background: linear-gradient(#5e5e5e 85%, #45454f 100%);
  width: 205px;
  height: 180px;
  border: 1px solid #000;
  border-radius: 46%;
}

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/116.0

Challenge: Learn Intermediate CSS by Building a Cat Painting - Step 9

Link to the challenge:

Welcome to our community!

You have to add three properties here. What contradiction you are talking about? You can see that nothing happens. The .cat-head element did not move despite setting a top and left of 100px each. That is part of the learning process. This clearly shows that top, bottom etc. don’t work with ‘position’ property set to ‘static’.

In the next step, you will learn further about ‘position’ property.

Thank you for your reply.

static is the default positioning for all elements. If you assign it to an element, you won’t be able to move it around with top, right, left, or bottom.

Then I am told to

Give .cat-head a position property of static, then set the top and left properties to 100px each.

I previously researched, understood the position property and how to use it but, that is a contradiction and seemed pointless.

I have now completed the following 8 steps and I can see it how was part of the learning experience. However, that was not explained in the task and contradictions in teaching are not helpful!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.