Learn Vim at the same time or one after the other

Hi, I decided to learn Vim and I hesitate between learning it in the same time I study coding or learning Vim first and after the coding courses.

I don’t know if I’ll need a long time to be able to use Vim.

Hi @Cibirsk :wave: Welcome back to the freeCodeCamp forum, it’s been a while!

My advice would be to learn Vim after and start with a more forgiving IDE. You probably don’t want to be fighting with your IDE/editor at the same time as learning to code. Everyone is different though, so it’s ultimately up to you. It’s definitely possible, just depends on you. Learning time for Vim is going to be different for everyone so can’t really speak to that.

Honestly, if you don’t have a specific reason to use vim right now, I wouldn’t worry too much about learning it.

2 Likes

vim might make you look and feel cool, but the time spent learning how to use it probably isn’t worth more than that “cool factor”. I do not believe typing speed will “hold you back”, so the main advantages of vim (works without a mouse) are thrown out the window.

If anything knowing the “notepad level” of commands is useful, such as how to save/edit/exit vim is useful knowledge. But anything beyond that will just require more brain power that could be used to learn whatever else your doing.

Fight the problem, not the editor :+1: