Learning programming with MIT OpenCourceWare(beginner level)

(Sorry for my english)I will attend university for computer or software engineering at 2017. But my knowledge for programming is very weak. Do you guys think starting to study at summertime will be helpful at university? Do you guys find working at freecodecamp.com for 6-8 hours a day will be efficient for a beginner level person? I figured out that also MIT’ opencourceware is a helpfull site which thoughts lessons. Do you guys find that site efficient? What kind of a path that i should choose to work efficiently to gain more knowledge about programming?

@captain22

I would find out as much about the program you are going to enroll in and work on things that are related or learn things now that will prepare you so you are ready or even give you a bit of head start.

I wouldn’t spend my time learning Javascript right now if you are going to use Java, C++ or Python in college and you don’t have any prior programming experience.

Do you have any programming experience? Do you know which language you will learn/work with when you get to college?

1 Like

İn my country our education system don’t give enough opportunity to students for improving themselves at diffrent fields such as programming or sports or music. You have to take private lessons or know english well to self-though yourself to learn programming, because of these reasons I’m like a total beginner because our system is very competitive at diffrent fields rather than programming. Last 6 months i worked at freecodecamp.com and i come to javascript section but my real program for improving myself is for the summertime. Thank you for your attention sir. -ACD
Edit:i dont know which language we will learn at the university because in my country every university has diffrent curriculum and I don’t know which university will accept me.

If i were you I will go to edx.org right now and start studying cs50

4 Likes

A year or so ago, Python was the most popular introductory language at top US universities. I attempted the mit opencourseware when I first started learning, but half way through the course the math became difficult for me.

I believe that learning the basics of any language will help you, even if it is not the language used at your university. I first started learning Ruby over at the www.theodinproject.com/, and then switched to Python at the MIT opencourseware. I then tried C# and c++ and finally committed to javascript, where I will stay until I have become an expert.

The main thing I have learned is that these language are surprisingly similar, and learning one made learning the others much easier. For example, in javascript we use objects: python has the same thing but its called a library, Ruby has it too but its called a hash. The languages I have seen so far seem to share many of the same elements.

So to sum up my thoughts, learning javascript here will only make things easier for you when you get to university, no matter what the language they teach is. You will find yourself thinking, “Oh, that’s just like that “thing” in javascript”.

Good luck out there, I am on a journey that is similar to yours.

1 Like

@captain22 if you don’t have any prior programming experience and you don’t know what will be used in school I would second @AhmedA-del’s recommendation and work through CS50 on Edx.org. Learning Javascript and working through FCC wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Learning one programming language will introduce topics that carry over to others such as variables, if statements, arrays, loops, functions and scope so on so that when you learn a new one you just have to learn how to implement these instead of learning everything from scratch.

The key is to do a bit everyday, even if it’s just 15 minutes each day.

2 Likes