Learning styles?

I am just about finished the first section of JS (basic) and for the most part think I have the gist of arrays, loops, variables etc. I know enough at least to get started on an exercise that needs them, and where to go to research if I get stuck. That said, these last few exercises are getting tough (objects/checking for properties etc) and I am just not ‘clicking’ on what exactly I need to do and syntax.

My question is, for all of you have have been through this and no doubt continue to hit road blocks on your journey, do you refuse to move on until you get it or do you put a pin in it knowing you’ll need to come back to it or will no doubt come across it again at another time (and likely) have a better time of it then?

I am just not sure how much I should be laboring on each exercise in these early stages. This is my first programming language.

Look forward to hearing your experiences.

1 Like

Sounds good Mrs. I just joined like day ago or so. And I experienced only HTML, even though I mastered all these programming languages, but then I’ am just doing it as an test of all my programming languages ability or knowledge.

Thanks! When you were learning HTML and got stuck did you persevere and not move on until you got that particular piece of new knowledge, or did you sometimes move on thinking you could work it out later in a different context?

1 Like

There’s a few ways I look at things.

1. Learn just enough to accomplish the task/goal.
  2. Some complex things you have to get your hands dirty and hit it from every angle: books, videos, articles, tutorials, and trial and error while messing around in the console or your dev environment.
  3. Somethings you slowly get through osmosis. Just coming back to concepts over and over again, banging your head on the wall, playing an in depth lecture on repeat while your cleaning your room and letting your unconscious process it without directly thinking about it.

A good question to ask is “What angle have I not tried to understand this concept?”

Point number one is important still, but you have to be able to discern when you can’t move forward until you understand a particular fundamental.

Also if there is a specific question you have ask it in the forums. The more specific you can make the question the better.

1 Like

FCC offers the challenges to solve, but its entirely expected that you will need to research to find the more indepth knowledge you’ll need to complete them. Thats something I love about FCC…its not all handed to you, you really need to delve deep to figure things out.

Its a struggle for sure, but on the note of learning styles, I think that finding resources to get through the challenges is great, because you might have to check out a few things before you find the resource, course, video, instructor, tutorial, blog, what have you that explains in in a way that it clicks. Everyone learns and retains info differently, and you have the freedom here to find what works for you.

While going through the challenges, I read 2 JS books, took about 3 courses, read tons of blogs and medium articles and goodness knows what else. And I still ended up taking a 4mth break because my brain was melting, it was hard and insanely frustrating. But when you find the thing that makes the bulb turn on and you get some concept thats been killing you…man it feels good!!!

1 Like

Well, for me it may be different and i got stuck sometime and I used to seek help.

One of the most important skills you can develop is using Google and stack overflow. Learning how to find your answer on the internet is so important for being efficient later on. This mostly applies to projects.

Now, for the code challenges and individual exercises, this is a little different. Those I recommend trying on your own, but still searching google for a simple thing like. “How do I reverse a string?” That’s not such an important concept to have spoiled and probably not something you could figure out on your own anyway unless you saw str.reverse() somewhere before. Also, if you get stuck over and over and over again, eventually just walk away. Take the rest of the night off, or study something else. But whenever you get a second to yourself over the next 24 hours, think about what you were stuck on. I solved a lot of my most difficult algorithms in my head while sitting in the teacher’s office at school.

As for “learning styles”, as a teacher, this simply reminds of the types of learners: visual-spatial, visual-linguistic, kinaesthetic, and auditory. Everyone can learn from any style, but most have a dominant learning style where they can learn the best. For example, I am visual-linguistic. I read things and remember them. In college, this translated to taking really good notes in class so that I could read them later. Making sure I did the readings, etc.

Some people love to watch YouTube videos, but for me they just don’t work. And they’re so slow… But I’m not a visual-spatial learner.

Unfortunately, no matter what type of learner you are, you have to learn code eventually by doing it. So, if you’re not a kinaesthetic learner, that can be extremely challenging or even intimidating.