Learning to code (for beginners)

Keep playing and add me on pbe sotan32

Thatā€™s so nice of you but I am not on pbe and believe me you donā€™t want to play with me. Bots kill me, lol.

Im new here Im learning javascript

Great post. I donā€™t think saying coding is hard is trying to scare people. It is true for many coding is HARD and by telling someone who is just starting out that learning to code is easy and the person ends up finding it extremely hard theyā€™ll just give up or think it is not for them or they are dumb!

Hiā€¦ AndroidNinjaX,
Where did you decide to start your certification? Iā€™m just starting out to code and am learning Ruby as my first through Code Academy for free but feel like I need some type of schooling to get my understanding over the hump. It seems bootcamps are the best education to become a front end developer but theyā€™re too expensive so Iā€™m looking at schools that I can use FASFA w/ such as Western Governors University, Full Sail University, NOVA Comm College and The Art Institute of Washington. Just wanted to see if you knew something I donā€™t? And to see how have your experiences have been? I can imagine your far ahead of me.
Any insight would very much apprecitated.

Thanks!

Hey. I just did mostly FCC. I have enough student loan debt from college and I didnā€™t want to take on anymore. I did Code Academy a few years ago but I never really stuck with it. When I found FCC I liked the fact that you actually got a certification out of it. At least itā€™s something and better then saying ā€œI did this courseā€.

Outside of FCC I just hobbie in tech. I repair computers, build them, and have always wanted to learn the software side. I also mess with a lot of mobile as well.

Honestly as you go along FCC they push it into you that in coding you will always be searching how to do something and asking questions. Weather it be Google, forums, or chat rooms. Because I realized this early on it helped me. I was very frustrated before because I kept saying ā€œthey didnā€™t teach me this or thatā€. I have realized that outside the course and in the real world this is very common as well. I have spoke to a few people about this and they have all advised me that it is normal. There is so much that no one knows all or remembers everything. Of course there are the basic things, but more advanced stuff takes years of practice.

So if you are looking to go a more cheap route and not put yourself in crazy amounts of debt, FCC might help. Then do some projects on there, and build from there. I havnt got a developer job yet and I only have my Front End so far, so I still have a ways to go. But at least I made progress and have something to show for it as well. I plan on doing some side projects for people and random companies I come across that need help. Who knows where it will take me. I work for a large company so what I am trying to do it get on with IT to get some experience. I personally want to actually program and not just typical IT troubleshooting stuff. We will see.

Hope this helps, and I hope I answered the question. If you ever have an issue you need help with please feel free to message me. Also in your code put good notes, it helps so much. And I love the ā€œconsole.log()ā€. Here is my Simon Game, but just showing for a reference to the type of notes that I put into my code: I hate that ugly thumbnail btw lol.

Very well written!!! Thank you.

1 Like

I donā€™t even think you know how much this put my mind at ease lol, Iā€™m currently in a web design course in college and would like to take graphic design. But right now iā€™m doing javascript and let me tell you this has me wanting to give up all together and makes me feel soooo stupidā€¦ This post though, thank you for the reassuranceā€¦ Gotta try and look at my assignment again. :sweat_smile:

So glad you found this post useful. Do not give up. It will get better, trust me.

1 Like