Let's write a Wikipedia article about Free Code Camp (help wanted)

I moved it to freeCodeCamp - Wikipedia in the hope that that might attract more contributors.

@QuincyLarson: How soon are the curriculum changes discussed in New Years Eve panel going to be implemented? I notice the Wiki page does not, so far, include these changes. Should it?

Ok, Iā€™ll create the group and place share the invitation link.

Hereā€™s the link to join the Slack group:

https://fcc-wiki.slack.com/shared_invite/MTI0MDU1MzU2NzY4LTE0ODM5MDE5MzktNmRlMmU0MDRmZA

2 Likes

Many thanks to ClaytonG0403 and one anonymous user on Wikipedia! We now have a Wikipedia article that can at least serve as a decent starting point:

As soon as I receive the go-ahead from @QuincyLarson, I will move it from my user namespace to the article namespace, making it a real Wikipedia article.

2 Likes

Great and exciting!

Iā€™ll take some time over the next week to review some of the articles above for other tidbits and see what I can do to help expand itā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s done! I got the green light from Quincy (I asked him to point out any blatant falsehoods in our draft) and moved the article to the main Wikipedia namespace:

Iā€™m pretty confident that the article complies with the basic Wikipedia community standards and wonā€™t be challenged in any substantive way.
Many thanks to @haiphi, @ClaytonG0403 and others for their time!
Again, I would also like to invite FCC community members to add useful information to the article. Be bold!

3 Likes

Looks good. I donā€™t know anything about wiki but will the unique visitors line get pulled because itā€™s not cited?

I see the statistics page is being used as a source in the first paragraph. Is there a way to add the unique visitors per month number on the statistics page?

I am not perfectly sure what you mean. Can you please clarify?

Do you see the citation needed tag in the ā€œReceptionā€ section?

The sentence there claims that there are 320,000 unique monthly users but there is no source for this claim.

I thought it might be possible for the unique users data to be included in the FCC stats page and then use it as a source for that sentence.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t worry about that. Wikipedia editors usually donā€™t remove unsourced material, because that can easily render the text unreadable. Hereā€™s what the corresponding Wikipedia guideline says:

A ā€œcitation neededā€ tag is (ā€¦) nothing more or less than a request for another editor to verify a statement: a form of communication between members of a collaborative editing team.

I like this idea.

I added an external link to the forum. Glad this was finally done! Thanks, @janschreiber.

1 Like

Thanks, @icartusacrimea!

Ok, @janschreiber sounds good.

Want to add a link to gitterā€¦ just read the amazing thread at archiving gitter rooms and can post the fCC home page or the forum with all the room links. My hesitation on forum is that some people might not have reached the forum step yet (in the helpRoom where I hang many newbies donā€™t know about it yet)ā€¦ alternately, if weā€™re driving discussion to a smaller number of gitter rooms as per the issues thread it might make sense to just post the main gitter room

Thoughts?

I got word from Quincy that the new curriculum will introduce the forum sooner so it makes sense to me to use the forum links

Someone tagged the wikipedia page for deletion assuming itā€™s part of a paid advertising campaignā€¦ thought Iā€™d pass that along in case anyone wants to join the discussion thereā€¦

deletion notice

Part of a clear paid advertising campaign in which the only parts added were what the company advertises to clients and this is shown by the fact
then a bunch of reasonā€¦

counterpoint suggested:

Keep! - The page needs a cleanup, but Iā€™m surprised they didnā€™t have a page before. itā€™s a non-profit referenced in almost every tech blog. Should be marked for improvement instead.

Anyone know the ins and outs of the process over at wikipedia?

Iā€™m surprised itā€™s considered a part of an advertising campaign towards clients. Any way to make the argument that since there arenā€™t any paid clients that would be a bit absurd? Without, yah know, sounding like yer mocking them or something? i.e. whatā€™s the most delicate way to say that, and any way to present a case on this? Like non-profit status listed on some gov website?

@janschreiber any insight into the ins and outs on this?

1 Like

This flew under my radar somehow. Would it be more appropriate for us to propose edits here and have @janschreiber enter it in, or should all interested parties be creating a Wikipedia account?

1 Like

@QuincyLarson do you have access to any historical data on fCC? Stuff like number of students or challenges completed over time? Iā€™m looking for material to go in the history section.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up. Very helpful. Iā€™ll answer tomorrow (Central European Time). Have a great weekend!