LifeStyte at work - How is it for a programmer?

Been having some thoughts about work life as a developer/programmer

One of the reasons I want to go through a career path is a change in the atmosphere at work. It seems there is a growing trend to be moving to a ‘this is your job, get on with it’. The rising number of heads on management and meetings where people only talk about the company goals.

In a way, individuality is broken. I don’t feel able to bring much to the workplace and likewise, don’t get much from others. And that’s the point. from the moment one spends 8,10,12 hours a day at work, I want that time to be meaningful.

For those looking for a change - Is it the career change or the atmosphere change that is making you do so?

For those that did the change, whats your experience? Do you come to work, sit at your computer, do your stuff and go home? What kind of activities do you share with others? Is there a common space for meals/breaks or you just stay at your desk?

Thanks!

It varies dramatically by company (and even team and location within a company).

For those that did the change, whats your experience?

I’ve worked at 3 different companies as a developer. The overall “feel” of the work environment has been different at each job, as has the type of teams and projects that I’ve been on.

Do you come to work, sit at your computer, do your stuff and go home?

Plus or minus a bunch of meetings (depending on the day). That’s pretty much how jobs work.

What kind of activities do you share with others?

Are you talking about collaborating on tasks at work or socializing outside of work?

Is there a common space for meals/breaks or you just stay at your desk?

The places I’ve worked for have always had a “kitchen” or “break room” with fridges, microwaves, coffee machines, and usually some tables to eat at. A couple places have also had cafeterias. At my current job, most people choose to eat at their desks rather than clock out for lunch, but there’s no requirement to do so.

Hi Ariel,

Are you talking about collaborating on tasks at work or socializing outside of work?

Collaboration with others: if you need help; how you help others, out of hours activities, if any, with work colleagues.

Example: I once worked in a place where we organized groups to volunteer locally, weekend outdoor activities, ted talks, etc. My last job incentivized ‘above average’ metrics, generating competition rather than collaboration.

It varies by company culture, team culture, and individuals. Everywhere I’ve worked has had other developers that are happy to help me when I’ve asked and been comfortable asking me if they thought I could help. At my current company, some developers pair up and work on a task together fairly often and it’s even more common that you are frequently talking to other developers about how to solve a problem. There are some people who share interests and do things together outside of work. Every now and then a few people here will do an event together, but I wouldn’t say it’s a frequent occurrence.