Looking for a mentor!

Looking for some help, someone who could help answer questions and such. I’m having trouble understanding some of the vocabulary and get stuck here and there. Any help would be appreciated

The members of this forum can act as multiple mentors for any questions you may have.

1 Like

This is the place to start, but there’s also an unofficial FCC discord (and a number of other discords specifically about programming), and there’s a small-but-growing slack space as well.

2 Likes

thanks guys i’ll be checking those out

Ask your questions. We are glad to help you…

Should i use bootstrap while i’m learning html and css? I’m using notepad++ but I’ve heard bootstrap is a good place to start for beginners

Starting out with bootstrap is, to my mind, not a good practice. Between class bloat and developing a reliance that is hard to lose… Better to take the time and learn good coding skills first.

1 Like

if you hare new to programming, do the harvard cs 50 course and use Scratch to begin.

I did learn Bootstrap while learning CSS however as @snowmonkey said it is not good practice. It is recommended to learn vanilla CSS then frameworks, the same thing with JavaScript.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to this resource I definitely will be taking the online course. Do you think I should use the class to supplement my html and css learning or is it a stand alone class that can teach me about other topics but will help me down the line?

Hey @drocha!

First it should be useful to make make sure you understand all of those terms (HTML, CSS, notepad++, Bootstrap)

1. HTML - is the standard markup language for creating Web pages
  2. CSS - stands for Cascading Style Sheets.
    CSS describes how HTML elements are to be displayed on screen, paper, or in other media
  3. Nodepad++ - is a text editor where you can write the code and save it into files
  4. Bootstrap - is the most popular CSS Framework for developing responsive and mobile-first websites.

I hope this helps to clear things out a little bit.

1 Like

thanks for responding it actually cleared up a lot!