Looking for some guidance :)

Hello,

My name is Saar and im 28, im at this point of my life that I can see that I need to make a change before it is too late and my life will take the normal boring 9-5 that I dont like for the rest of my life.

I will bore you a bit with my boring life story with the hope that it will help you to understand where im going with this thread :slight_smile:

I always had an interest in understanding how things work (people, machines etc) I remember loving taking stuff apart and trying to put them back together, tryinf and sometimes succeeding in fixing old electronics like VSR players and other small gadgets.
When I was in high school I took a computer class as my selective course. At the time we “learned” (will explain why “”) about basic assembler, the next year pascal (which we decided to change to JAVA half way through the semester, part of where my issue started). The reason that I wrote “learned” before was that by the end of the semester I know more about my teacher’s love life and how smart he and his family are than I know how to use JAVA.

I dont want to blame everything one him and on the fact that when I was in high school we didnt have anything even close to freecodecamp or guides on youtube; FB just came out then!
I was never the best in math (again didnt have the best teacher… Used to call us useless and that nothing will come out of us, and his Hebrew wasn’t the best).
I remember that even though my understanding of JAVA was not the best, I really liked doing it, wanted to learn more and get the big picture of how it all comes together.

Afterwards I spent 3 years in the army and then working and traveling, and living in europe. I saw the growing popularity of coding, the rise of tech startups and understood that this is the future and this is where I want to be.
Currently I’m working on finally getting a bachelor’s degree (was supposed to major in informatics but my luck is so good that this major got cancelled, and changed to an only master degree, after I already paid) in Business economics and management, and starting my third semester in a month.
Had a basic HTML course which I passed with an A but didn’t really like it, and a Pascal course which I also passed with an A. As I remembered some basic programming topics from my high school JAVA class, it was not a problem for me to get the topic. While working on it I remembered why I like programming, as it has a lot to do with taking a problem, breaking it apart into smaller topic, solving each one, thinking beforehand how I can solve the problem even without using programming language at all, and after finishing it and making the code working, thinking about possible inputs that might results in errors on the user side or might create an infinite loops.
Doing that made me realize that I is something I like doing :slight_smile:

I know what I’m going to say now might sound as an excuse BUT I could never understand how to start coding, which language does what, and most important for this thread WHICH PATH SHOULD I TAKE and how to know which career will fit me the best.

I would really love your help in this topic. I read a lot about what are the uses of each language but dont really understand what it means and if it is what will fit me and will give me the most joy and/or love and interest in the career it will finally lead to.
If you could, would it be possible to give me a bit more knoweldge on the topics (in the attached screenshot) , and if from my self description above you think you understood which path will be the best for me and recommend it to me. Is there any career that combines business economics and programming? It’s not a must, as I would prefer to do something fully focused on programming. But it could be plan B.

The only think that I know is that I dont want to be a web designer, that is the only topic I can definitely remove from that list.

I also only have time to work on programming only on weekends and between semesters for the next two hours. How likely is it that I can progress enough to get a position in the field?
Again thank you very much in advance for reading my boring life story and for any possible help that you could provide me with.

Saar

focus on what you want to do

web developer?
game developer?
mobile developer?
data scientist?
machine learning?
etc…

once you know that, you will then know which language(s) to to learn

if you don’t know where to start, JavaScript and Python are the languages most suggested to start (you can find both of them in the curriculum), and for general computer science knowledge, the CS50: Introduction to Computer Science from Harvard can be something to look at.

1 Like

Thank you for you reply :slight_smile:
As I said I have a really hardg time understand which will be the career that will fir me the most. I know that I dont want to be a web designer and not to work in something that is really physics heavy.

After talking with another member here I think that I would like to work more in back end than front end. Stating this and in general, should I start with phyton or Javascript.

Thank you

javascript is the language of the web, always used in the front-end. NodeJS is JavaScript for backend

Python is also a backend language

And many others

my suggestion would be to follow the freecodecamp curriculum from top to bottom, if you want to do web development, it’s always better to know how the front-end work and how it communicate with the back-end, it would make you a better back-end developer, then you can just keep focusing on the back-end and deepen yor knowledge there

1 Like

Another question:
Are the topic marked in white required a deep understaing of math and physics in order to succeed in them? And would it be possible to get a bit more knowledge on the topics in red and do you think that from my description of myself would be topics that will match well with me? The rest of the topic dont seems to fit me so you can ignore them :slight_smile:

there is no requirement for higher math or any physics knowledge

if you click on the arrow you will see there are some pages that are not challenges but introductions, why don’t you read those?

also, the freecodecamp curriculum is a linear curriculum with each certificate a milestone.

the projects will be full-stack projects toward the end, not just back-end.

1 Like

I think some of the questions here are kind of like the questions almost everyone asks in their career - figuring out what’s best for them - what fits the best and something that they like. At least I always have the question. One thing that I have realized is - sometimes you just gotta try different things, and keep trying, to see what you like and what fits. Exploration is a good thing, but yeah, it can be time consuming. :sweat_smile:

1 Like