Lost doing Random Quote Machine project

So I don’t know what I’m doing right now - I’ve not even gotten to the point of using APIs in the project and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. My project so far is here: https://codepen.io/drewgill89/pen/qxKbZm

My current problem is that I don’t know how to implement the scripting in the project - do I put it in the HTML, CSS, or JS box? Looking at other projects, all three are used at the same time, but in my previous projects I have not had to touch the CSS or JS boxes.
Also, I’ve imported Bootstrap, jQuery, and jquery.js - is this what I am supposed to do?

Any insight would be great.

JavaScript should go in the JS box, HTML in the HTML box, and CSS in the CSS box. It seems kinda obvious, but I get where you’re coming from since many lessons and tutorials mix them.

They’re technically optional, but much of what you’ve learned from FreeCodeCamp depends on Bootstrap and jQuery, so they’re very much suggested. You’ll learn to work without them later on. You did fine, but you only need either jquery.js or jquery.min.js. There’s very little difference in your case, but jquery.min.js will load a little faster so you might as well just use that. Do make sure that you include bootstrap.js after jquery.

You’re doing fine. Do everything that you know how to do, and do some google/forum searches for the rest. If you can’t find the answer, ask your questions here or in the chat room.

1 Like

Thanks! It makes a bit more sense now knowing that the jQuery stuff should go in the JS box.