Lost in determining the way to become a Web developer

From my experience as IT Support L2, and as student, I suggest the following:

• Prioritize your urgent needs: is it Full stack dev on freecodecamp or on coursera or on udemy? is it React , Angular or Javascript or Data Science? running them all together will for sure drive you into big labyrinth so focus only on one learning source with some googling in case of.
  • Planning your studying daily curricula: as an example: 2 hours JavaScript, 15 min pause, 2 hours HTML, 30 min lunch, 2 hours CSS, 2 hours free time (do whatever you like but no more studying) , later if you still have sm energy: run 1 or 2 study applications or exercises.
  • If you are stacked on a hard application or subject, your best friend is stackoverflow, there sure you will find your needed solution in few minutes.
  • Actually I am studying 4 hours Python and 4 hours Full Stack Dev and no more else, while I want to but I know it is impossible to learn lots of different things at the same time.

Conclusion: you are overwhelmed with many learning sources, that’s why you are lost, so focus on one source, take your time, don’t rush, if a function needs 1 week to be understood then its one week, no rush, no forcing, follow the natural flow of time. Good luck and stay strong, you can do it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I suggest sololearn android app so when you are not at home, it will serve as a complement.

1 Like

I already selected Full Stack MERN.

Then follow the path on freecodecamp, with some additional resources in case of only, let freecodecamp be the main class and any other resource serve as sub-class, freecodecamp is built by super coding ninja! Have faith in those ninja bro.

2 Likes

while we are actually forced all to stay at home :rofl: due covid19

1 Like

Hello buddy, the same problem going with me, overwhelming with Udemy courses and I don’t see FCC is enough !! I think we should try a course and stick with it until we grasp the fundamentals and come back to FCC.

1 Like

I feel the same, mate. Started working on Python, then started HTML/CSS here, then JavaScript here and couldn’t finish anything so far, haha.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I appreciate your help very much.

1 Like

To be honest, I try to look at this indecision or feeling of being lost in a good way: we’re experimenting! That’s really important for someone like me, for instance, who had no contact with coding/computer sciences before. We need to know what’s around, try available languages and their uses, in order to know where we fit best. Sounds reasonable?

After reading your advice I am thinking of adopting and completing the Full-Stack Web Development with React Specialization, then returning to freecodecamp and when facing a specific challenge I will attend a video in pluralsight, where in pluralsight I found paths close to freecodecamp.

After searching for the best in Udemy, and reading discussions about coaches in it, I no longer liked it so much. It does not have a complete comprehensive path.

Full-Stack Web Development with React Specialization: https://www.coursera.org/specializations/full-stack-react

1 Like

My advise do not start learning any framework like Reactjs or AngularJs or whatever. You need to master the basics first. Start learning how the web works (the HTTP protocol, DNS, hosting, …), HTML, CSS, Javascript. Then start learning how to build an entire website from scratch with just HTML, CSS, Javascript.

I think you need to make a choice whether you want to become a front or a back end developer. I don’t want to offend anyone but I think that the job title full stack developer is nonsense, a full stack developer is like a Jack of all trades, master of none. The full stack is huge and the development of the web is going too hard to keep up and to master everything. So I think you need to choose at some point.

To be able to make a choice I think it is absolutely a good idea to have a good understanding of what front and back end development actually is. At this point you can learn some basic back end sills. Just pick some back end programming language (you can build the back end in Javascript as well perhaps that makes it easier because you only need one programming language) and learn how to build a the back end of a web application. Learn how to setup a web server to run your application and learn how to deploy your website/web application to your web server. Hook your application up to a database and learn some database skills.

You do not have to dig in too deep but just gain some basic knowledge so you will be able to choose.

If you made your choice than you can dive deeper in the technical skills that are required for a back or front end developer. There are a lot of roadmaps on the web about where to start to learn and what to learn next.

Here is one for both paths:
https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

You do not need to know everything in the roadmaps to land a job. It is quite a lot.

For the front end part I think you need to know everything before pick a framework but please do include testing. All the rest you can learn on the job whenever you need it.

For the back end part learn everything above relational databases and include relational databases, testing, security and design and development principals and web servers. The rest you can learn on the job.

There are non technical skills that are required for any developer that are not on the roadmap like communication. You need to meet with clients and they will tell you what they want. You need to interview them and figure out what it is they want you to build for them. If you don’t ask the right questions you will get the wrong answers and you will end up building something they did not ask for.

If you choose to focus on back end development you need to choose a back end programming language. I suggest that you look for vacancies in the area where you like to work and see what programming language is used the most so you make a better chance to get a job.

If you really want to make a better change getting a job you could consider to go to school and get a graduation degree in computer science. A lot of stuff you need to know is covered there you have teachers that can help you. But a you can learn everything your self degree is not required. But when you choose not to get a degree perhaps you can build a portfolio put stuff you made on Github so you can show what you build yourself. But don’t put stuff that you made by following courses and tutorial in your portfolio build something real. Try to set a goal for a project you want to create some web application that is actually useful. On a job interview they want to see that you actually can build something real. That you can apply the skills needed for a job.

I hope this helps you to get you going.
I wish you good luck.

3 Likes

For those who needs inspirations: I am IT Support L2 as professional background.

After finishing all responsive web design courses, I found my self forgot most CSS elements implementations syntax and not able to even start the first project.

Its like I know how to build a house but I don’t have tools, that’s why since 3 days I am reviewing all lessons one by one!! and this time I am mastering them all and noting them on an external document which will serves as cheat sheet in case of needs, this is called PERSISTENCE !

Also, it is true that FCC is not enough but even if you study in a private school the professor or teacher or mentor will force you to make additional research which is an advantage not an inconvenience, because they want you to make some EFFORTS .

Actually I am counting 80% on FCC and 20% on other resources like w3schools and sololearn or stackoverflow .

Last but not least, there must be a good learning STRATEGY by defining your goals and by PRIORITIZE them one by one.

To finish, if someone is feeling lost, ask older and experienced persons, I am sure they will guide toward the correct path. If you don’t know someone wise and experienced enough, post your question on FCC forum or on stackoverflow, sure you’ll get some wise recommendations.

Best Regards For All

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the full detailed Road-map. It will help me a lot to plan tailored prioritized objectives and learning strategy.

No problem I was in the same position about 12 years ago so I’m happy to help others.
I forgot to mention you have to be curious and persistent that helped me to learn a lot of things I wanted to learn about. Sometimes you get tired of learning a new topic but you just need to keep going until you get it although it is hard.

2 Likes

I would like to add another good resource namely https://developer.mozilla.org since Mozilla, Microsoft, Google and Samsung are writing documentation on web technologies together there. Those companies deliver the most common browsers so the documentation must be quite good. If you Google on a certain topic like querySelector you will see links to the documentation appearing in the top results:

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/API/Document/querySelector

You will find everything you need to know about that topic including browser support and sometimes pollyfills to make it work on older browsers.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help.
I feel lost with the abundance of resources and the lack of one reliable source, for example I want one way which is Free Code Camp, but according to the experiences of others it will face me challenges that compel me to come out to another external source, and I am thinking of choosing a support course from Udemy, I go to Udemy Lots of good options and a lot of instructors, I try to confine them to waste more because of the features that exist when a instructor is not present at the other and so …

Hey YaserHamame,

Might I suggest going to the Colt Steele course and trying to use a local server (your computer) instead of cloud 9? It is more challenging, but you learn a lot about how things interact with the server as well as how to set up your dev environment. I have taken the Steele Udemy bootcamp and that is how I worked around the Cloud 9 issue. I honestly prefer working with a local host anyway.

Same here! After a lot of panic I finally decided if I wanted a chance at changing careers then I should begin with Java and then move on to Swift + Python. Not many jobs in my area now Corona has folded my design biz - so off I go at 51 years old into the world of coding. I wish you luck mate, wish me luck too!

1 Like

If you have an alternative to cloud 9, yes I advise you to continue with Colt.