Lost my data having been away

I have just come back to freecodecamp after a few months out and im now met with a new log in page saying they no longer are using github. On confirming my email address I get into freecodecamp but all the work i previously did has now gone? Is this permanent or can i get it back? If I long in through the old link it shows me my old profile with everything I did but will not allow me to complete new courses?

The good news is that your progress isn’t gone. If your public portfolio shows that no lessons have been completed, it means that when you logged in the first time it created a new account instead of linking to your existing one. (Your username would probably be a random string of gibberish in this case.) If that has happened, then your two accounts need to be manually merged by Quincy. You can email team@freecodecamp.org with your account details. Please try to be patient. Quincy is only one guy and he’s getting a ton of emails right now.

Please note:

If you had an account on the main application that is https://www.freecodecamp.org, we may be able to merge your accounts.

We use email as your identifier.

Meaning as long as you use the same email that you have had in the past, you would get signed in to your account.

It doesn’t matter if you use the any of the social authentication providers. For instance, if you used example@gmail.com as your email and are using the same email on Google, GitHub, Facebook etc., you can use any of the sign in methods and still get signed in to the same account.

If you have had different emails on the social provider than us, then that’s probably the reason that you would see a brand new account with no progress.

Simply try and sign in with a different provider or use the email that you have on records with us.

However, This will NOT be the case for Beta version of the application at https://beta.freecodecamp.org which we use for early stage development and showcasing of upcoming features from time to time. The progress from that version can not be moved over to the main application.

This is known and has been clarified previously on the forum.

1 Like