Love javascript as a programming language but hate frontend

I love to code in javascript and solving problems is pretty much fun and easier but when it comes to frontend using html and css i just hate that part to make pages, fill color and design them.
Basically, i love to solve logic problems in js and everyone is doing data structures and algorithm in either java, c++ or python. Now I want to stop js because at the end it is use to help html and css which I hate the most.
What should I do…

Check out NodeJS - JavaScript is also backend!

2 Likes

Totally agree. I’ve built some really ugly web apps with nodejs. You’ll have to understand basic html, but you can use bootstrap to give it a UI and keep it simple.

I know basics of JS , should I start Node?? If yes then suggest some resources…

Bootstrap, how much time it require to learn it and shall it totally replace the css or the basic require css for a UI

It’ll probably take a day to learn. The documentation is really simple. It can replace custom css. It handles positioning and basic design for you. bootstrap alone will bring your ui from 1999 to 2009.

2 Likes

Have you done the JavaScript certificate here?
Then I suggest you go through the APIs and microservices certification
There you can start knowing Node
And then the following certification, Information Security And Quality Assurance Certification

thats nice so should I learn it from documentation or any tutorial

I am at intermediate algorithm and scripting, then what about the front end libraries part??

Those are front end, you said front end is making you want to stop coding… if you ever need to do a ui to something you can try later with that
Data visualisation is javascript, but you may not like it too

I agree with the others I use Javascript daily, you can even use it to create Ai models…
create games or advanced Machine Learning…
A frontend is just one piece of a huge puzzle. IMHO…
Try to find something that you like and go with it!

Does APIs and Microservice require any prerequisite other than the js and algorithm part

I don’t have any free courses that I recommend for bootstrap. I learned about it on this Udemy course. You can usually get it for about 10USD. This course also dives into nodejs, mongodb, and a lot of other backend development.

I’m sure there are free tutorials around, I’ve just never looked for them.

1 Like

It doesn’t have any prerequisite as far as I know

1 Like

I must look into them as I completed my algo part btw thnxx for the help: :slightly_smiling_face:

I have the opposite problem. I love front-end (working with HTML, CSS, SASS) but I don’t enjoy that algorithm stuff for JavaScript. I am also now on the intermediate algorithm scripting and can’t wait until I’m done with this JS certification so I can move on to the front-end libraries certification.

2 Likes

It’s all a question of one’s mindset, I think. I started out as a graphic designer, so for the longest time, I would think in colors and fonts and sizes and screens (and, just to date myself, moire patterns). With that background, I started out very very comfortably in HTML and early CSS.

But I migrated away from that, because I have a very puzzle-oriented mind. I enjoy taking things apart, even breaking them, and seeing WHY they broke. I greatly prefer behind-the-scenes coding now, javascript is my happy place (scripted languages in general, I really enjoy Node and perl and PHP too, so).

It’s a great plan to have a solid understanding of each part of front-end work, it will make it far easier for you to interface with others when you get into a team setting. But it is very very common to specialize - I’m a great general front-end guy, but I think in JS. :wink:

3 Likes

I done them before but now I feel I forget everything about them( html and css) and to revise or repeat them is pretty boring for me. What should I do now repeat or move on to bootstrap as someone recommend me??

I strongly advise that you keep your JavaScript on the front-end. It might not be popular in this crowd to say so but it will save you a lot of time, make you happier, and wealthier.

Do not learn Node.js. Learn Go instead for backend stuff. Even Node’s own creator very publicly points out all the reasons he (and others like TJ) abandoned Node years ago. The hype train continues to produce bad architectures. I still use Node for doing JSON file migrations because I prefer dot notation for that, but that is about it. Everything else on the backend can be done more efficiently and easily with Go or Shell (avoid Python, people are leaving it in droves for Go – especially with the 2020 deadline for Python 2 coming up).

The fastest, hottest, most sustainable and frankly fun language to program in today is Go, created at Google to do the coding in the space you exactly describe, replacing Python, C++ and Java.

By the way, TypeScript will never make JavaScript into Java or Go. People continue to use JavaScript for things it has no business doing. For example, concurrency with CSP (goroutines) and channels is drop-dead simple to understand compared to any event model for the same thing. Concurrency though events is never truly parallel.

Don’t just take my word for it, read blog after blog from dev teams from dozens (if not hundreds at this point) of successful companies with names like DropBox, LinkedIn and others who ported their codebases from Node to Go and saw 100x increases in performance and sustainability.

You might not know what all that means right now, but you can start by researching it. Languages are designed for a domain and should stick to that domain. Rob Pike gives a great presentation on why this is from a very authoritative computer science perspective. What does that mean for us? Simply put. Learn Go for backend/terminal/services/datastructs and JavaScript for the front end. And for God’s sake, stop torturing yourself with the completely unnecessary Webpack if that is what you are doing.

Do not under any circumstances spend a single second learning Bootstrap or Foundation, they are ancient outdated technologies that all modern web developers are moving away from. From the words of several CSS core team members, “the only thing you need to learn is CSS Grid and Flexbox.”

Regards,
Mr. Rob
skilstak.io

3 Likes