Making Information Stick

Making Information Stick
0.0 0

Hi guys,

So I’m new here and I’m making my way through the CSS and HTML version of the course.

Here’s the thing, everything is going fine and dandy, however I’m just a little concerned at how I’m going to get information to stick. I understand everything perfectly, it’s great because I do already have some knowledge (intermediate) of using HTML and CSS.

That being said, there are still some things especially in the CSS sections that I’m still very new too and I’m very worried about how I’m going to retain so much new information.

Do you guys have any tips or advice in regards to making information stick?

It seems like there’s just so much that it may be difficult to put it all in to practice on a daily basis.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Woohoo love this question!
Okay so first thing you gotta know is learning how to code especially HTML and CSS will require insane amount of repetition. Even though it is super simple I still find myself referring back to html/css/js documentation consistently. Eventually you’ll figure out the main parts that are really important like the most commonly used CSS props for a div or the most useful javascript array methods, but for now just have fun and keep trying. There is NOTHING wrong with referring to documentation (in fact it is heavily encouraged).

Keep up the good work :smiley:

• Ethan

Cheers for that Ethan.

I’ll just keep referring back to documentation (Google) if I’m unsure of something when it comes to putting stuff into practice, hopefully I’ll get the grasp of stuff the more I use it then.

repetition repetition repetition and deliberate practice.

Try to replicate the examples without lookign at them for reference until yu get stuck. Trying it withotu the reference will help you better remember that point you got stuck on.

Make your own mini mini challenges based on the one you are currently doing. Build a project in parallel with whatever tutorial you are followign, which will let you use the information but not in an exact cut & paste way…forces you to think a little more. Engaging your brain more will help you retian.

There are lots of resources out there devoted to teaching optimum ways to learn. The science behind learning is fairly robust and, personally, I find it fascinating. The book, “A Mind for Numbers,” by Barbara Oakley is one such resource that goes through the current thinking in the field. It is full of helpful strategies and breaks down common misconceptions about what works and what doesn’t. It made me realize, a little sadly, that I had never really learned how to learn in school.

If you are more keen on an interactive approach, there is also a MOOC that was created from the book.

Good luck!

I highly, highly recommend using a Spaced Repetition Software tool like Anki because it solves this very problem. That is, the problem of forgetting. I recently wrote up an article about spaced repetition published in freeCodeCamp’s Medium publication. And I think you’ll find it valuable because it’ll get you up and running with Anki.

Personally for me it’s repetition and good old fashioned note taking. As I’m going through any lesson, whether it’s here on FCC or while watching a tutorial on Youtube, I write everything down. But I don’t write down what I’m reading or hearing verbatim. What I try to do is reform it into my own thoughts. Not only does that tap into a sense of “explaining” the concepts to someone (in this case myself) which can be a helpful memory tool, but it also helps me pick back up concepts quicker because I write in a way I understand.

Here’s the thing, of course using or doing something over and over again will help you commit it to long term memory, but there’s nothing wrong with going back and refreshing your memory with notes or review tutorials. I still do that. Even on stuff I’ve used a ton in the past but maybe haven’t utilized in a while. I’ll go back and look through my notes. A lot of times I’ll rediscover a comment or observation I made that will save me time and frustration. It’s a win/win.

I think the bottom line is with any of this stuff, is to do what works for you.