Making the jump to freelance

Greetings everyone!

I have a question for those of you that have made the jump to freelance work in the past. I am currently working as a java developer focusing on back end processes and performance (though a lot of what I’ve done lately is really sysops type work such as setting up new servers and upgrading existing ones). I really want to make the jump back to front end work as a freelance developer. I’ve sharpened my game in html, css, and javascript (wow have things changed in 6 years!!!), and I’m learning react with plans to learn node next. I’ve done some work in php, but not enough to consider myself an expert. I’m working on version 2 of my portfolio page with one eye towards building a full-on blog system using node/react (not there yet but it doesn’t hurt to have goals). That said, as I look at what’s available for front-end freelance jobs I feel completely out of my league. So my question is…have any of you felt that way? If so, how did you overcome it? It seems all I find is requests for senior front-end developers with a minimum of 3 years work…which I have, but it’s horribly outdated.

Thanks!

-Chris

1 Like

Keen to get some response. I am in the same boat :wink:

Hi Monika!

I’m thinking that after reading a post here earlier today from the interviewer’s perspective I’m just going to go for it. Sure the coding experience I have is not specifically in front-end or php, but I’ve got coding experience and I have a drive to learn. The worst that can happen is that people say no…and I still have my day job.

-Chris

It’s great.
remind me of an old quote from Thomas Edison:

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Good luck. :+1:

Keep me posted here would like to know more :slight_smile:

1 Like

if possible could you please share me that post too (interviewer’s perspective)

1 Like